Author Topic: US census or birth details needed.  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Denmark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
US census or birth details needed.
« on: Tuesday 14 December 04 07:59 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone can help me solve this problem. I am trying to find my husband's grandfather and great grandfather.  I know that the grandfather was called Arthur Herbert Brown, which he changed to Arthur Chester Brown on his marriage certificate for some reason. I know the Chester is correct because that is my husbands middle name.   The great grandfather was Walter Henry Brown (of independent means on the mrg certificate).  I searched for these two on the 1881 census and the only thing that came up was a family in America on the 1880 census.  Arthur was not born then, if this is the correct family.   

On the 1891 census for Bath, UK, Walter Henry Brown and family, including Arthur Herbert Brown born in Greenville, New Jersey, about 1882 are shown.  Any possibility of finding when they returned and how?  I cannot find Arthur Herbert/Chester Brown after 1903 nor his wife Agnes Mabel Kenney whom he married in Swansea Glamorgan in 1903 before travelling to Leeds, Yorkshire for the birth of Arthur Baron Brown my father in law. .....sometime later Arthur Baron Brown was fostered out, but I do not know why.  Agnes was pregnant when they married and went to Leeds and am wondering if the marriage broke up and Arthur Herbert went back to America.  Any ideas would be appreciated, and hope you can decipher all the above.   Thanks.
Foulkes, Peacock, Bailey, Steadman, Peachey  - Soham, Cambridgeshire

Lumsden -  Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland

Cartwright, Hutton, Umpleby, Johnson,Wilson,  Morgan - Leeds/Malton, Yorkshire

Dickinson - Bolton-on-Dearne, Yorkshire
Jackman - Gt.Yarmouth.

Brown, Lord, Plowman - Leeds, Etton, Yorkshire.
Hallan. London-Leeds
Hall. Nottinghamshire
Kenney, Campbell, Bowen, Griffiths, Davies, all Swansea

Offline Juszach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: US census or birth details needed.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 December 04 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is your Arthur Brown:

Deaths Dec 1903
Brown    Arthur    53    Leeds    9b   302

After reading your entry about Arthur and the fact that Agnes gave their baby up for adoption it occured to me that she may not have been able to care for him because Arthur died. So on the Free BMD site I located the above information. Maybe that is your Arthur...
Hope this helps
:-) Snashall, Stunt, Field, Mann, Jones, Myrick, Ballard, Cribbs,

Offline Denmark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: US census or birth details needed.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 December 04 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately this is not the Arthur I am looking for.  Arthur was born about 1882. He was 27 when he married in March 1903...at least that was the age on the marriage certificate. 
Foulkes, Peacock, Bailey, Steadman, Peachey  - Soham, Cambridgeshire

Lumsden -  Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland

Cartwright, Hutton, Umpleby, Johnson,Wilson,  Morgan - Leeds/Malton, Yorkshire

Dickinson - Bolton-on-Dearne, Yorkshire
Jackman - Gt.Yarmouth.

Brown, Lord, Plowman - Leeds, Etton, Yorkshire.
Hallan. London-Leeds
Hall. Nottinghamshire
Kenney, Campbell, Bowen, Griffiths, Davies, all Swansea