Author Topic: Can you find Allmon SNELL in 1841 Census? Thanks to those who already tried....  (Read 7856 times)

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Despite several people searching, especially Patrish and his friend, it seems no one can find Allmon SNELL in St Austell area in 1841  ???

His parents were James and Philipa SNELL.  James, Philipa and family all had different last names.  Living St. Austall  HO107/146/4/15/31/12

But where is Allmon?  He was born in 1837/1838 in St Stephens in Bramel, but it seems no one can find him in 1841.

Can you help solve a mystery?  Who can find Allmon SNELL in 1841?  Anyone?

I would be very grateful if anyone could find him.  I can't find him.  Can anyone find him?

Thanks for reading and good luck  ;D
STAGG/MARTIN/EAGLE/SPACKMAN - WILTSHIRE
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Can you find Allmon SNELL in 1841 Census? Thanks to those who already tried....
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 07 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could you elaborate on James/Philippa had different last names? There seem to be a few Almond ... s in Cornwall in 1841

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can you find Allmon SNELL in 1841 Census? Thanks to those who already tried....
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 August 07 10:49 BST (UK) »
Without drawing the ire of the Copyright guys :-) hehe on Ancestry the names were James and Philipa MELL and children and there are BONE's with them.  Philipa's maiden name was BONE.  The image is so hard to read, I guess it is easy to read MELL instead of SNELL...

The Cornwall Online Census recorded Philipa and children as BELL and her husband James as SMITH. 

They were apparently living at Western Boscundle in St Austell but there is no Almond with them (or Allmon, or Holman as he was recorded in the 1861 census)

I know that Philipa's parents were Thomas and Ann BONE.  Also Philipa's sister appears to be Phillis.  But I can't really find them in the census either.

I just can't figure out why Allmon is not with them when he is with them in 1851, at age 14.  That is my problem because my line comes from Allmon and to not be able to find him in the 1841 is so frustrating.

But there seems to be a few transcription errors, SNELL recorded as SMITH, BELL etc since the image for HO107/146/4/15/31/12 is very hard to read.

I appreciate any help or advice on how to find him.  Or should I just give up?  As I have said in this post, Patrish and their friend searched as well.  So I am just wondering as I said, was he transcribed as something else, which might mean I could never find him ... Should I just give up?

Thanks  :)
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 07 12:19 BST (UK) »
I think your best bet might be to ignore any transcribed indexes and go back to the old fashioned way of searching every image for the area until you find him.   Always worked in the past before there was an index.   Takes a long time but usually pays dividends as you find others on the way.  Just start at the beginning of the village and move on through the images.  He is unlikely to be far from the parents.   Have you got his birth certificate?   That might show if he was registered under another name. He was obviously a very late child for Philippa.   Is there any chance he could be an illegitimate child of one of their earlier children?   Just a thought.
Andrea

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 07 12:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that is a great suggestion about searching the actual images.  One I will pass on to another relative of mine who told me about Allmon as they have Ancestry.  I only have a few credits as I can't afford to pay for the whole thing.

Allmon's birth was registered as follows thanks to Patrish who found his birth
ALLMON SNELL ch. 31.1.1836 St. Stephens Brannel

Father James Snell  mother Phillipa

For him being a child of one of their other children... eek lol.  Patrich in this post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,246714.0.html  found the rest of the family, and Charlotte is only 11 in 1841.  However, there are a few BONE children, which could be Philippa's illegitimate children I wonder.. Melinda is 20 and James the 'father's is 30 so it is possible that Melinda 20, Elizabeth 15 and Fanny 15 are Philippa's children.

But James and Phillipa were married at approximately the same time as Allmon was born, in 1837 I think.  Though it is confusing as their children Charlotte is 11, and Samuel is 10.

Charlotte was baptised 7 Nov 1829 according to extracted records on the IGI.

So it is very confusing, as Allmon's baptism is also recorded as being extracted
ALLMON SNELL ch. 31.1.1836 St. Stephens Brannel

So he is baptised in 1836, missing in 1841, recorded as Allmon in 1851 with James and Phillipa, as Holman (with matching wife Mary Ann) in 1861 but then he died.

If someone has to look at all the images, I will ask my newly found relative if she can.  I don't want to damage anyone's eyes on here unncessarily  ;D
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline Josee

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking everywhere!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 August 07 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi aussiegalx
Is there any chance young Allmon is away with grandparents or aunts, he may have been sent on a visit, especially if there was a new baby in the house.  Probably would be fairly close by! Have you looked at BONE families in the area?
Hope this helps
Cheers
Jo
Barrow, Fletcher, Clayton, Booth, Elderton, Allen & Warnock, Nanfan, :all Manchester, Taylor in NZ
Finlayson/Hargreaves/Barrow in Canada.

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 August 07 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hey  :)

Any reply helps, thanks.  I did think about this, however I am stumped as to figuring this out.  There are quite a few BONE's and as for Thomas and Ann ....

This is just so frustrating lol

Thanks for your reply.
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 07 15:01 BST (UK) »
one thing is confusing me according to the IGI James Snell and Phillipa Bone married on 4th August 1828 in St Stephen Brannel...............means James was only 17

not that this helps ;D

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 August 07 15:21 BST (UK) »
Wow that is young isn't it?  Or is it in that time period.

I am wondering if Allmon will ever be found in 1841 ... grr lol

Thanks to all who are trying to help.
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL