Author Topic: Can you find Allmon SNELL in 1841 Census? Thanks to those who already tried....  (Read 7855 times)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Can you find Allmon SNELL in 1841 Census? Thanks to those who already tried....
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 August 07 15:38 BST (UK) »
Maybe I'm being stupid, but I can't see why a second marriage for Philippa has been ruled out:

Philippa m Mr Bone c 1820
Children Melinda, Elizabeth, Fanny 1821-1826
Mr Bone dies 1826-8
Philippa Bone m James Snell 1828
Charlotte, Samuel, Allmon 1829-36

Allmon could be staying with his maternal grandparents, name unknown

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you find Allmon SNELL in 1841 Census? Thanks to those who already tried....
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 August 07 15:51 BST (UK) »
Don't forget that in 1841 ages were generally rounded down to the nearest 5 so if James appears as 30 he could be up to 34.
Andrea

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 August 07 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

the 1841 census by the way is online free to search at Freecen and also at the Cornwall online project

Freecen has an index, but the online project you have to search through

the area you want in the cornwall online is 107/146 book 4 Folio 32 page 12

you will find James down as Smith! and phillipa as Bell!!!

I found them through Melinda Bone  however have searched but not found Allmon  perhaps he was in bed ::)

but as I am at work!! and my eyes are seeing double now will have to stop

good luck  sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 August 07 17:29 BST (UK) »
Have you done a thorough search of the batch number for the extracted records on the IGI?   One of the entries (for Samuel James) has the parents as James and Philadelphia for instance.   There are also some submitted records.   If you can trace the LDS member who put them on you might be able to get more information from them.   There are a lot of Bone entries on it too.   Three possible baptisms for Philppa Bone.
Andrea

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 August 07 17:45 BST (UK) »
I will do a more thorough search through the IGI when I wake up, being in Australia it is almost 3 am lol.

Thanks Sandie, take care of your eyes.  And yes it is very confusing how they can be recorded so differently in the same family.

Andrea, yeah I had forgotten about that.  So James could be 34... Interesting.

Steve, I don't think you are being stupid at all.  You are thinking, which is great.  I am not sure about Phillipa BONE as I thought I had found her in the IGI being born in 1780's.  And since the 1841 age is rounded down and it said she was born in the 1790's'..  it is just so confusing  :o

If only someone could find a marriage for Phillipa to a ? BONE in St Austell/St Stephens Bramel or whatever (as I said way passed my bedtime.)

Sandie ..
If we had a copy of the parish entry to say whether Philippa was a Spinster or Widow when she married James SNELL, it would prove or disprove Steve's theory.

It is truly a mystery that is very confusing.  And I am very grateful to each of you for trying to help me work it out.

Jenny
STAGG/MARTIN/EAGLE/SPACKMAN - WILTSHIRE
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 August 07 18:06 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism in 1825 for Fanny, daughter of William Bone and Phillipa.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 August 07 18:11 BST (UK) »
And a marriage on 30 April 1814 for William Bone to Philadelphia Skidgemore.....
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 August 07 18:15 BST (UK) »
And a baptism for Philadelphia, daughter of Peter and Mary on 22 Feb 1791.   I expect their marriage is on familysearch too.
Andrea

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 August 07 21:49 BST (UK) »
the cornwall online parish clerks have an online search for BDM

just did one on marriages for James Snell but the only extra detail it had was the witness a George Pinch and a william Gill

The transcribber was a Rita Bone Kopp  wonder if a relative?

www.cornwall-opc-database.org

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk