Author Topic: Convent / Orphanage in Bedford  (Read 6621 times)

Offline Jane0601

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convent / Orphanage in Bedford
« on: Friday 03 August 07 14:39 BST (UK) »
I'm looking into my aunt's mother's family tree.  She was given up to an orphanage at the age of 9 and I'm trying to see if I can find out any information/records etc.

It was a convent run orphanage, I think in Bedford itself.

I've seen on the Bedfordshire Archives page there are records of a Convent of the Holy Ghost School.  Does anyone know if this was also an orphanage.  Or if not, any names of convent run orphanages in Bedfordshire?

There may also be a Biggleswade connection.

Thanks.

Jane

Edited to add: She was at the orphanage from about 1935 to about 1944.
Hancock, Ferris, Estwick, Bentley, Phippen, Price, Jones, Corfield, Lambert, Bain, Rowell

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Convent / Orphanage in Bedford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 07 14:52 BST (UK) »
Images removed as it may infringe copy rights
Migky ;)

Offline Jane0601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 August 07 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  Someone else had suggested Barnardos but we thought that as it was definately run by nuns that it wouldn't be a Barnardos one.

I shall give them a try anyway :)
Hancock, Ferris, Estwick, Bentley, Phippen, Price, Jones, Corfield, Lambert, Bain, Rowell

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 07 14:58 BST (UK) »
Do you know what order of nuns ran the home that will help plus try getting intouch with the Rc diocesan of that area you want to know about , they will know?

Migky ;)

Offline Jane0601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 07 16:00 BST (UK) »
I made contact with Bedfordshire Archives this afternoon just to see if they could suggest any possibilities and whether they might hold any records.

A very helpful lady there emailed me back very quickly and has been able to confirm that it was St. Ethelreda's Childrens Home and she has some records for my aunt's mum, including admission card and details of her circumstances as of 1937.  Very impressed with the speed and information she has been able to give me.

Thanks for the suggestions in any case :)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 August 07 16:08 BST (UK) »
Congrat's  nice to here happy ending or begging as the case may be :) I hope their is some good news to come out of the records, we never got any good news from what little convent records i came across to do with my mother. just mad the puzzle that little bit bigger  :(

Migky ;)

Offline Jane0601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 August 07 16:20 BST (UK) »
Well it is already a tangled web and I'm sure it won't throw much more light on to the matter - she wasn't technically an orphan when she was sent there, her step father just decided he didn't like her!  But its useful background information.  They have said that there isn't a lot of information so not expecting too much :)