Author Topic: National Archives Lookup Please???  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Anne Wilson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
National Archives Lookup Please???
« on: Saturday 04 August 07 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've always found fellow Rootschatters to be an incredibly helpful lot so am going to be really cheeky and see if there is anyone who will be visiting the National Archives at any stage and would be willing to look something up for me.........(I live in Australia).
I'm trying to find the RC baptisms/births of my Dundee rellies, between 1834 - 1846. Have looked in the OPR's of SP but have been told because they were RC's they wouldn't be listed there.

I've found the relevant volume numbers of records of St Andrew's (Dundee), Diocese of Dunkeld:
RH21/39/2      &      RH21/39/3

The people I'm trying to find are the children of Hugh LYNCH and Agnes/Nancy HENDRY/HENDRIE (both from Ireland - Hugh was a weaver). All 4 children were born in Dundee.
Mary          born abt 1835
John          born abt 1837
Margaret   born sometime between 1839 & 1845 (I think they may have had one Margaret who died
                                                                                 and then named a second after her)
Ellen/Helen born abt 1846

If there is anyone out there willing to help, I would be eternally grateful.
Cheers
Annie  :) :)
Lynch, Dundee; Scotland. Armagh; Ireland
Wallace, Dundee/Arbroath; Scotland
Henry, Armagh;Ireland
Nielson/Nelson; South Australia
Johnston; South Australia
Brown; South Australia
Terrell; Cornwall
Angove; Cornwall
Trengove; Cornwall
Wilson; Cumberland, Durham
Reay; Cumberland
Barwise; Cumberland
Weiler/Wheeler; Luxembourg, South Australia

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: National Archives Lookup Please???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 October 08 05:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Unfortunately, I can't help with your request but I'm wondering if there may be an indirect relationship between your Lynch family and mine. I have a Mary Lynch, baptised 13 Jun 1830 at St Andrews RC, Dundee to parents John Lynch (a forester) and Agnes/Nancy Murphy. Mary married James Sim of Cruden, Aberdeenshire in 1855 and they spent most of their married life at Turriff. I believe they met in Dundee abt 1851 - James was a railway worker. They had nine children.
Like you, I haven't been able to check out the RC records for Dundee.
Any connection on the Lynch families?
Cheers!

Scotland: Aberdeen - Sim, Tawse, McLean, Henderson, Hatchwell, McKenzie, Littlejohn; West Lothian - Hill, Macintosh, Hutchison, Spowart, Douglas; Forfar - Soutar, Mitchell, Young; Inverness - Macdonald, Cameron, Stewart.
Ireland: Frazer, Brannan, Fitzgerald/Fitzmaurice, McGladrigan.
England: Havercroft, Dunn

Offline Anne Wilson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 08 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello hallglen
Apologies for taking so long to reply but I've recently moved house and have only just managed to get my internet reconnected!
Unfortunately I haven't been able to establish any other relatives of my Lynch family as yet but I can tell you that your Mary is definitely not mine as she married a David WALLACE in Arbroath in 1856 and died in Paisley in 1907.
I know that both Hugh and Agnes came from Armagh in Northern Ireland but that's about all I have for now. I am currently trying to find their deaths in Ireland (I believe they returned to Ireland after their daughters Margaret and Ellen emigrated to Australia in the 1860's). I'm hoping that by finding their death records, I'll be able to back track to their town of birth and then search parish records.
Do you have any further info on the origins of your John Lynch and Agnes Murphy?
Cheers
Annie
Lynch, Dundee; Scotland. Armagh; Ireland
Wallace, Dundee/Arbroath; Scotland
Henry, Armagh;Ireland
Nielson/Nelson; South Australia
Johnston; South Australia
Brown; South Australia
Terrell; Cornwall
Angove; Cornwall
Trengove; Cornwall
Wilson; Cumberland, Durham
Reay; Cumberland
Barwise; Cumberland
Weiler/Wheeler; Luxembourg, South Australia

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie! I have info on Mary's marriage and life thereafter but other than her parents names, her Dundee RC birth and a suggestion of the Irish link, I have nothing more at this stage to get further back. I have some work to do on the 1851 census for Dundee that may throw something up but not overly hopeful. If you stumble on any possible family ties, please let me know.
Cheers,
John

Scotland: Aberdeen - Sim, Tawse, McLean, Henderson, Hatchwell, McKenzie, Littlejohn; West Lothian - Hill, Macintosh, Hutchison, Spowart, Douglas; Forfar - Soutar, Mitchell, Young; Inverness - Macdonald, Cameron, Stewart.
Ireland: Frazer, Brannan, Fitzgerald/Fitzmaurice, McGladrigan.
England: Havercroft, Dunn

Offline NWhite.AU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 07:34 BST (UK) »
Agnes "Nancy" HENDRY is my 3rd Great Grandmother, her husband Hugh LYNCH and her daughter Helen (Ellen) my second great-grandmother. Happy to help with whatever information I can provide.
**PATERNAL**
WILTSHIRE, UK: Prictor, Bowden, Underwood, Cook, Sainsbury, Hadrill, Seager, Blisset, Gainsford, Amor, Bailey, Pierce, Huggins, Bovey, Noyes, Clampitt
LINCOLNSHIRE, UK: Dillingham, Barber, Faulkner, Ringham, Ward, Johnson, Robinson,
IRELAND, UK: Lynch, Donnelly, Hendry,
DENMARK: Nelson/Neilsen
PRUSSIA: Helbig
AUSTRALIA: Bowden, White, Nelson, Lynch, McNamara, Rowe,

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 21:33 BST (UK) »
Re your initial request in 2007, the RC records are not in the National Archives/National Records of Scotland. They are held in archives of the RC Church.

Since you posted, however, Many of them have been added to the records available on Scotland's People. They are also available on FindMyPast.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.