Author Topic: Great Baddow - baptisms  (Read 3363 times)

Offline jennean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Searching my roots
    • View Profile
Great Baddow - baptisms
« on: Saturday 04 August 07 07:42 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if baptisms for Great Baddow were available for abt 1806-1822.
I was after Wiggins baptisms, William Bridges Wiggins and Mary Ann had several children baptised during this time period.

Any help would be appreciated.

REgards,
Jennean
Wiggins...Essex, Middlesex
Hawkes...Birmingham
Bentick/Bentock/Bentinck...
Hayne...Silversmith..London

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Baddow - baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 August 07 16:14 BST (UK) »
The Essex Records Office in Chelmsford holds microfiches of the baptisms of numerous Essex Churches.  I'm sure they will have them for St. Mary's Church, Gt. Baddow (if that is where your family worshipped?).  Are you able to visit Chelmsford?  If not I live in Chelmsford - Gt. Baddow in fact and could have a look for you the next time I visit the ERO.

Any help?

Offline jennean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Searching my roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 August 07 03:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply dawlc,

I am in Australia, so until I can afford a nice holiday o'seas I won't be able to make it there for another 5 years or so.

I very much appreciate your kind offer if ever you are at the ERO, I would happily pay any expenses or jst for your time - please let me know.

Kindest regards,
Jennean
Hawkes...Birmingham

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 August 07 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Guess OZ is not too near Chelmsford!  My brother and his family live in Melbourne so I now just how far it seems from the UK.

The next time I go (which hopefully will be sometime this month) I print off a copy of our 'chats' and have a look and see if I can see an Wiggins baptisms in the period you are after.  I don't require any form of expenses (nor would I take any) as I live in Chelmsford and a visit to the ERO just requires a short drive and a short walk.  It is free to search there anyway.

I'll report back as soon as I have managed to go to the ERO. 

Regards for now
Deborah

Offline jennean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Searching my roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 07 05:51 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Deborah,

Very kind of you...

Regards,
Jennean
Hawkes...Birmingham

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 07 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you know when and where William Bridges Wiggins and Mary Ann married?  Apologies if you do but I found their marriage:-

William Bridges Wiggins married Mary Ann Gray on 17 December 1806 at St. John Zachary with St. Ann & St. Agnes, Gresham Street, London. EC2

Mary Ann Gray was born in Bethnal Green, London in 1786.  William Wiggins was born in the village of Danbury, Essex.  Danbury is a village very close to Gt. Baddow.  He married Mary Ann and then went back to Gt. Baddow where (as you know) some of their children were born.

When I'm at the ERO I'll look in the baptism records for William Wiggins at St. John's Church in Danbury around 1784.  The only trouble with these very early records is that the handwriting is often illegible because they wrote very close together but I'll have a go.

Till then - regards Deborah.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 August 07 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah,
Hope you don't mind me butting in with a suggestion.

There are a couple of PR transcripts listed for St John's, Danbury, T/R 168/7 & T/R 229/1,2, so if the PR itself is difficult to read try a cross check in one or both of the transcripts.

Good luck.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Searching my roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 August 07 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there Deborah,

Thankyou kindly for that info - I did have a copy of their marriage licence 1806.
William and his siblings were all baptised Danbury, their father John Wiggins owned quite alot of land Danbury, Runsell, & Woodham Mortimer, I believe they were all born Hill House, Tynedale...I have copy of John Wiggins will.
The information, of course, that I had the problem with was William and Mary's siblings, I have the census information and the names of a few children but their are some big gaps.  Two of their daughters were baptised at St Dunstan, Stepney, they were both in their 20's and it was just prior to them being marriage. I was told that this was because they were marrying in a parish other than their "native parish".
It seems that alot of the Wiggins were born Danbury, Little or Great Baddow but the majority (prior to William and Mary) were buried in St Margaret's, Woodham Mortimer, I get a bit confused at to which village to look in.
From the census information on the children that I know, most of them state that they were born Great Baddow so I'll go with that for now.
Anyway thankyou again and I look forward to any info that you may come up with.

Kindest regards,
Jennean
Hawkes...Birmingham

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 August 07 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for the added information - it all helps to make for a clear picture.  I will of course start at St. Mary's, Gt. Baddow for the children of Wm and Mary Ann.

Do you mind my asking your connection to this family - presumably you are related somehow?  I only ask because I have been contacted by another researcher who has a direct line of ancestry to Jane Wiggins (one of Wm's daughters).  She gave me information (she thought I was related to this family) re Jane's marriage in Tasmania and beyond.  Do you know about this? If you don't let me know and I pass on what she wrote in her message to me. 

I am aiming to go to the ERO this Thursday sometime.

Regards - Deborah.