Author Topic: Great Baddow - baptisms  (Read 3365 times)

Offline jennean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Searching my roots
    • View Profile
Re: Great Baddow - baptisms
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 August 07 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah,

William Bridges Wiggins is my GGGGrandfather.  Two of his daughters and a son moved to Tasmania in early 1830's, one was Jane Elizabeth Boyes Wiggins.  I assume that your enquiry came from Audrey - if so - yes we are in touch with each other.  If it is someone other than Audrey, no I dont know them.  Audrey and I have share a lot of info together and I am sure she must be the one that has contacted you.

Thanks again....Jennean (Audrey knows me as Michelle - I use Jennean on family history sites as it was my grandmothers and my middle name - bit funny I know but I like to be reminded of her.....

Wiggins...Essex, Middlesex
Hawkes...Birmingham
Bentick/Bentock/Bentinck...
Hayne...Silversmith..London

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 August 07 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes it is Audrey who has contacted me.  She too would love to know more about William and Mary's children.

I visited the ERO this afternoon.  The Baptismal records of St. Mary's, Gt. Baddow for the time period I needed to look at were fairly legible and informative!  I found the following:-

Caroline baptised September 19th 1808
George Spiller (I think I've transcribed that correctly) baptised October 15th 1813 and born September 19th 1813
Ellen Maria baptised July 7th 1814 BUT born July 13th 1812
Jane Boyce baptised December 11 1814 BUT born November 8th 1810
Frederick baptised December 11 1814 and born October 29th 1814

I wonder why Ellen and Jane were not baptised near to their birth but two and four years later?

I did continue searching upto 1822 but I found no more Wiggins baptised.  Louisa Wiggins was born c1820 in Whitechapel so perhaps the family moved to London earlier than it appears from the 1841 Census.

I know another son William went to Tasmania with Jane and Ellen but as he didn't appear in Essex was he too born in London?

I also easily found William's baptism at St. John's in Danbury along with 6 of his siblings.  Do you have that information?  I didn't want to repeat anything you already have but if not let me know and I'll post it on to you.

I hope the above is what you were after and is of help.  I've enjoyed the researching of what is a fascinating family. 

Regards

Deborah.

PS:  I will forward the same onto Audrey via her email.

Offline jennean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Searching my roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 August 07 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah,

This is so exciting for me, it truly is like meeting family you never new about.

I knew of Caroline, Ellen, William, Jane, Louisa and also Mary.  I didn't know of George and Frederick.

I have William Bridges dob and baptism, (or maybe just baptism) and a couple of his siblings - Alleyne, John and Sophia.....If you wouldn't mind sending that info just in case I don't have it alll, I would really appreciate it...

I really can't thank you enough, it is so kind of you to have done this for me, I can't wait to chase the mystery of George and Frederick, what a challenge.

I will contact Audrey in a couple of days and we can discuss the new siblings.

If ever you need a lookup in Australia, please ask and if I can repay your kindness I would love to.

Kindest regards,
Jennean
Hawkes...Birmingham

Offline jennean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Searching my roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 August 07 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again Deborah,

Just an extra note, I have heard that if a baby was sickly or premature (as many were back then) they didn't baptise them until they were actually sure that they would live.....Of course there is no way of knowing for sure but maybe this was the case with Ellen and Jane, but Louisa and Mary were adults when they were baptised??? Who knows, jsut another little mystery.

Regards,
Jennean
Hawkes...Birmingham

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 August 07 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennean

I'm so glad that I have found a couple of family members that you had no idea existed - as you say an exciting researching ahead.

These are Wm Bridges Wiggins baptised siblings.  They were all baptised at St. John's Church in Danbury and again the baptismal records were unbelieveably easy to follow.  Danbury was (and still is) a wealthy parish so I suspect the Rector of this time was a well read and literate man.

William Bridges baptised Aug 21st 1784
Mary Ann baptised Feb 3rd 1787
Francis Smith baptised privately but received into this church on July 24th 1788
Daniel Nottige baptised Oct 10th 1789
Sarah Dinah baptised Sept 13th 1791
Sophia baptised Aug 27th 1793 (obviously dies young as an infant) as
Sophia baptised Sept 21st 1795

I love some of the names!  I never found an Alleyne or a John but there were some pages between 1794-6 which did not microfiche well - it was as if the ink had gone through the pages and blurred the writing.  They could have been hiding in those pages.

I'm sure some of the above will be traceable through Census records so more delving to be enjoyed. 

My daughter Laura was both baptised and confirmed (age 11) last November at St. John's Church in Danbury so I know what a beautiful and impressive church it is.  It is an odd feeling to think she followed all those Wiggins babies that were baptised some 200 years before she was even born.

So glad to have been of help - it was no trouble.  If you need any further Essex look-ups just ask.  Also thanks for the OZ offer - you never know.

Regards

Deborah.

PS:  I told Audrey that I would post the Wiggins baptisms on her Ancestry site as she told me that she still has much to add and it would make it easier to have information all in one place.

Offline jennean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Searching my roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 August 07 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah,

Once again, thankyou very much - really appreciated.

It is strange to think that some 200 years later your own child is being baptised in the same church as my ancestors.

I recently bought (on ebay) a little old booklet about Danbury church, its just lovely and has a very interesting history.......I do hope to get there in a few years time and walk through the church myself.

Thanks again, we may talk again......Jennean
Hawkes...Birmingham