Author Topic: WALLACE(WALLIS) Irish Deaths  (Read 20079 times)

Offline Populist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WALLACE(WALLIS) Irish Deaths
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 September 10 06:18 BST (UK) »
A few other points: Patrick Wallace (Wallis) and Ellen (Helen) Mahony (Mahoney) were married in 1822 in Bulgaden parish of Limerick (aka Bulgadine-Ballinvana or Kilbreedy Major).  At least one of their children --Thomas (1825) -- was born in Bulgaden.  They were living in Kilfinane parish by 1833.  Thomas and his sister Hanora emigrated to Rutland Township, Kane County, Illinois in the early 1850s. 

This Wallace family was related to the semi-famous Irish revolutionary Patrick "Staker" Wallace (see Wikipedia).  They weren't direct descendants, but they were closely related.  Some of Staker's descendants were living in Bulgaden parish in the 1820s and ended up in Kane County IL by the 1850s.

Offline Travelcard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 September 10 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Populist, I think that there are about three different Wallis' in my photos, but all of them are as witnesses only for other people's baptism's in Kilfinane church. At least they will give you an idea that those names were in the vicinity during those dates.

My biggest regret is not taking photo's of every page in the two baptism books there, as you never know who else is going to turn out to be a relation further down the line.

I plan to go back there in a few weeks time in the hope that I can get access to the marriage records and if I am allowed I will go through all the books and photograph every page. No point in having it all locked away after all is there?

Will attach what I have next.

Kieran

Offline Travelcard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 September 10 11:05 BST (UK) »
This one has Johanna Wallis in 1858 and William Wallace in 1833:

Offline Travelcard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:57 BST (UK) »
This one has Maria Wallace in 1852:

Offline Travelcard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 September 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
This has Maria Wallace in 1849 and Patrick Wallis in 1875:

Offline brazill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 September 10 01:03 BST (UK) »
hi there  ;D i just started the search for my family records - the brazil's listed in these records are probably related to our family - Is it hard to gain access to these records? what would i need to do? I have plenty of time to prepare by writing to the person in charge of them etc as i will not get to ireland until february at the latest.  Any help would be greatly appreciated  :) also how exactly do i read these records? are the names to the right the parents? and the far right the sponsors? sorry total noob at this  :-[

Offline Travelcard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 September 10 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Brazil.
You, my friend, are in luck! :D

We (Conways) are related to the Brazil's somehow. I know this anecdotally, but don't have the proper hard facts, so when I photographed the records, I photographed all the Brazils for future tracing. I am away from my main computer at the moment, but will post up what I have tonight.

Good point about reading the records, I forgot to say what the columns are.

So, first is the date of baptism not the date of birth. Back then people were generally baptised within a day or two - not weeks later like now.

Column 2: Name of child being baptised

Column 3: Parents names, showing the mother's maiden name and sometimes where she is from.

Column 4: The two Godparents.

In terms of getting access to the records, you just need to call parish churches and ask them for a time that you can look at the records. They are generally very accommodating.

Look back here in about twelve hours and good luck with the rest of your searching.
Kieran.

Offline brazill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 September 10 11:14 BST (UK) »
I think we are related through my great grandparents  ;D My great grandfather Joseph Brazil married a Helen or Ellen Conway around 1888 - both are visible on the 1911 census -

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Limerick/Bulgaden/Ballinscaula/621580/ 

the joseph, aged 7, was my grandad. One of my relations (O'Donaghue) is in contact with other Conways who used to live near kilfinane - wouldnt it be an amazing co-incidence if it was you??? lol I will try to get a bit more information from them and get back to you. Thanks so much for the records when you post - it will make my job so much easier :) cya cuz (possibly  ;))

Offline Travelcard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 September 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Yes, looks like we are related then :D

I do know O'Donohue's, a great family in Oxford. They told me about the Brasil link originally. I'll post up my pics and swap more info.

Thanks
Kieran