Author Topic: Minto  (Read 8259 times)

Offline Glennells

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Minto
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 August 07 11:44 BST (UK) »
Yes Jenny that is where I became confused.  I found Robert, gamekeeper also.  It seems George and Robert done the same job and both married Mary Telfers.  I began to wonder if George changed his christian name.  It is on George jnrs' marriage certificate that his father was George.  I failed to find a Marriage certificate for Geroge Snr and Mary Telfer, so they must have married in England.
Helen

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 August 07 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

My advice would be to see what the birth certificate says, as maybe just maybe George put down the wrong name for his father on his marriage certificate. It happens a lot surprisingly, or maybe the chap writing it down had a momentary lapse in concentration and had George on the brain  ::)

Good luck

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 August 07 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Just so you have all the information. I chased the Robert/Mary couple through the census and George too.

1871 - Wolflee Lodge, Southdean, Roxburghshire

Robert Minto Head M 52yrs Gamekeeper b. Jedburgh, Rox
Mary Minto Wife M 47yrs b. Southdean, Rox
Euphemia Minto Dau 15yrs Pupil Teacher b. Southdean, Rox
Ellen H Minto Dau 12yrs Scholar b. Southdean, Rox
Mary L E Minto Dau 9yrs Scholar b. Southdean, Rox
Jessie H Minto Dau 6yrs Scholar b. Southdean, Rox

1871 - 2 Brougham Place, Hawick, Roxburghshire

Mary Ann Oliver & children
George Minto Lodger 18yrs S Commercial Clerk b. England

(I could not find any other George's to fit in England or Scotland)

1881 - Wolflee Lodge, Southdean, Roxburghshire

Robert Minto Head M 63yrs Gamekeeper b. Jedburgh, Rox
Mary Minto Wife M 58yrs Gamekeeper's wife b. Southdean, Rox
Mary Minto Dau S 19yrs Nurse (Domestic Servant) Unemployed b. Southdean, Rox
Jessie Minto Dau S 16yrs General Domestic Servant b. Southdean, Rox

1881 - 3 Minto Place, Hawick, Roxburghshire

George Minto Head M 28yrs Painter's clerk b. England
Lillias Minto Wife M 28yrs b. Kirkaldy, Fife

1891 - Wolflee Lodge, Southdean, Roxburghshire

Robert Minto Head W 73yrs Gamekeeper b. Jedburgh, Rox
Mary Lena Elder GDau 12yrs Scholar b. England

So that fits in with the info that Ricky found for you regards the 1891 census. So to me it looks like George Minto who married Lillias (McKinlay) (I assume this is the marriage you have) is indeed the son of Robert Minto and Mary Telfer. Of course nothing is certain and maybe Mary had a fling with a George Minto before marrying Robert...who knows  ::)

The birth cert will help out a great deal. Also could not find George and Lillias in 1901, do you know what happened to them? Or where they may be?

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline sedgwick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 January 09 22:38 GMT (UK) »
For 1901 Scotland Census look at name of George Minta with relevant birth details.( Maybe error in spelling) although this person is on their own I think it is the same one as George Telfer Minto if you look at occupation etc. and location (Glasgow)

Offline Glennells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sedgwick
I didn't think of chasing other spellings.  It has been known to be spelled as Mintow before so I will try that also.  Do you know what age This George Minta is?  I think George Telfer Minto ended up on his own, but I have failed to trace his son George Telfer McKinlay Minto who would be about 11 years old in 1901.  There is a gap between that time and WW1, which is in the family recollection. 

Helen

Offline sedgwick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 13:44 GMT (UK) »
The George Minta I found was by putting in the relevant birth details for George Telfer Minto, so you could do that. I use Ancestry.co.uk for all the basic work (as they don't have images for Scottish records) and then Scotlandspeople for the copy documents.
My search is based on the son Robert Minto (G T Minto's other son) and yes it all seems rather ambiguous. I may just put all the info in on my family tree and just leave a question mark beyond G T Minto's parentage. A shame but  something may become apparent in the future.
I still think the England Census of 1851 in Northumberland (Troughend) of a George Minto(72) and his wife Helen who live at Whitelee Gate as Inn keepers with sons Thomas and a George(26) etc could be key.
Hope this is of some help.
Sedgwick

Offline Glennells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 15 January 09 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sedgewick
I got a copy of George T Minto's birth certificate and he was born in Bellingham at the Whitelee Toll inn.
His father was Robert and Mother Mary Telfer both ended up staying at Wolflee  where Robert was Gamekeeper.
George T went on to marry Lily Mckinlay and they had 3 children, Elizabeth, Robert born in Anderson in Glasgow in 1885 February 21st and George T McK.  You can see them in the 1891 cencus.  In the 1901 George T is a widower and no kids.  In 1901 Elizabeth would have been 18, Robert 16 and George 11.  I didn't find out what became of the family as George is living on his own. 
If it is Robert junior you are following up I can let you have photos if you want them.  What relation would you be to Robert?  George Telfer McKinlay Minto was my husband's father.
Helen

Offline sedgwick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 15 January 09 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that. I have the info already that you offer except photos of Robert. Robert was my grandfather on my dad's side. I remember him being a slight man with a big moustache! Unfortunately my Dad has passed away now and am unable to get any more info except certificates.
Anyway hope you have more luck with your quest.
Sedgwick

Offline Glennells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 15 January 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sedgwick
So it seems you are my late husband's half cousin.  Here is a photo of Robert and Mary outside Wolflee Lodge With George T, Lily young Elizabeth and Robert.  It appears George T McK isn't born yet so the pic will date around 1889/90. Helen