Author Topic: Lookup please - Ships deserter 1880  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lookup please - Ships deserter 1880
« on: Sunday 05 August 07 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm hoping that someone has access to microfische for SA Ships deserters covering 1880.
John Seeton (Seaton) from Ireland arrived/reported as deserter 2/2/1880
About 1988 I started researching my tree and at my local genealogical society confirmed what my grandmother had told me re her father's arrival in Adelaide in 1880.   Yes he was listed as a ships deserter, arrived on the "West Riding" into the Port of Adelaide, listed as an AB, he had a 5 pound bounty on him for desertion.
What I failed to do as a then novice was to make note of where the ship had sailed from and to read further to see if there was any additional information about him, and unfortunately some other person has since deemed it to be more important to their personnel collection so I am unable to access it now. :o
What I read early on was hand written, and was from the ships log / manifest.  I have since accessed the typed listing of ships deserters (for SA) but these don't have the additional information re bounty, date of arrival / being declared a deserter, his age, height etc.
The "West Riding" was NOT a passenger ship it was a cargo vessel and I would love to know what it destination port was and also where it sailed from.
Does anyone have this in their local society's reference material or able to access it elsewhere? 
I would really appreciate someone being able to look this up for me and let me know the extra few details.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please - Ships deserter 1880
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 07 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Abygail

I have scrolled through all the index on SAGHS website but can't see an arrival on that date.

http://www.saghs.org.au/shipping.htm

Perhaps you could request some research - form available on their website.

Ships' Deserters Register, 1852-1890, South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry Society, Adelaide, n.d.

Cheers
cando

Edit - add info

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please - Ships deserter 1880
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 07 12:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks cando,
according to the Lloyds book on shipping, the West Riding was a freight vessel, think it sailed from London possibly made in Middlesex or registered there? Wasn't clear if it sailed in Nov 1879 from London or arrived in Adelaide then.   The 2/2/1880 may have been when John Seeton was listed.   Been to the SA Library, I needed more time than I had so was only able to search for 2 hours.    Am hoping someone remembers a fische of (SA) deserters that was handwritten and listed by ship.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail