Author Topic: Has anyone seen Daniel KELLY?  (Read 6579 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Has anyone seen Daniel KELLY?
« on: Sunday 05 August 07 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi again, this is another tough chestnut that is proving to be hard to crack.
I am starting to think it is a good chance he was a bigamist, a cad and who knows what else.
From what I have managed to find (and I may be wrong) is Daniel KELLY aged 29y arrived on board the ENGLAND into Port Phillip in 1841, potentially with a brother/relative named Thomas aged 22y.  There were about 20 other passengers also from Derry, but they were all Prodistants and the Kelly men were listed a Catholic. 
The next I pick up on Daniel is when he married Mary BASTABLE in Nov 1849 at Hotspur Victoria.   The marriage certificate fails to mention ages, parents or origins for the bridal party.  The minister was a Presbyterian from Portland.  The next mentions may or may not be correct, the birth registration of a son, William Keeley, at Portland in Aug 1851.  I have failed to find anyother mention of this child (marriage / death)  We have located a death inquest for a Daniel KELLY 1854 with a son Patrick as the informant.    Mary took up with a released convict post 1853, had 2 girls and in 1859 the first of many children from her de facto is registered. and by all intents and purposes they posed as a married couple for the rest of their lives raising the first 3 children to believe their father was the released convict.
Not that this information was revealed either.   A very elaborate story had been spun to hide the truth.
I really am past caring if Daniel lived a double life and had a family with another woman, all I would like is to be able to positively record a death date for him and a huge bonus would be to have his parents names or a date of birth.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone seen Daniel KELLY?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 August 07 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am posting a link to your previous post about Daniel - to save duplicate lookups.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,218430.msg1139423.html#msg1139423

Cheers
cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 07 10:13 BST (UK) »
You might need to post a little more background information on how you arrived at Mary BASTABLE and Daniel KELLY as being your ancestor's real parents? 

Where did you find the baptism of William Keeley?

Christine
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 07 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Abygale,
As you did not reply to answers on your previous thread, we have no way of knowing whether the findings from the Chatters were helpful/useful or received.
There was a question regarding a date you provided and another question from Jenn asking if she was on the right track.

It might be best to go back to the original and let us have your revised questions.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 August 07 02:36 BST (UK) »
In regard to not replying to previous posts, I always make a point of responding to each one.   I know I have received posts and at a later date when looking for them to clarify a point(in my own mind) I have been unable to find them.  At present I have 28 messages sitting in my in box, I'm sure there should be more.   So there is a reasonable possibility that some may never arrive to begin with.
In regard to having the 'right' Daniel Kelly,   who knows I may have the wrong one it happens.   

a; But in defense, by 1845 all the Daniel Kelly's to be in the Colonies were convicts except for one (arrived 1841)   The ages/locations of all but one seriously put them out of the equation, except for the 1841 arrival.

b; There were 2 Mary Bastables' in Victoria at that time, the other had married another gentleman and was registering her children at that time.   The second MB arrived in Port Phillip and transferred to Portland early in 1849, she was app 19 at that time.

c; I have purchased the marriage certificate (such as it is) for the marriage of Mary BASTABLE to Daniel KELLY at Hotspur on the 4 Nov 1849.

d; I also have a copy of the Register page for William KELLEY, it list his parents as Daniel and Mary Kelley.   After searching for possible arrivals, marriages, other children, and deaths for all 3 names nothing more has been found.  So there is the chance that Kelly was spelt incorrectly, as Mr & Mrs Kelley ceased to be.

e; It may be a leap of assumption, but given the perpencity of the time of the registration clerk  to spell names how he believed it should be, that many people were still illiterate and the possible heavy accents I am reasonably certain I have the birth registration for my GGF.

f; Given the social stigma of being an ex convict let alone a de facto relationship I can understand why it was never mentioned.   Mary may have been deserted, or left on her own accord and later met her de facto after he gained his ticket of freedom in May 1852 and left Tasmania for Victoria.   Given the history of the goldfields in the early days where fraudsters performed marriages etc for financial gain anything is possible.

g; How do I know I have the 'right' people?  Mary was settled in the Ballarat area by 1858, her eldest son lived and died there, her grandson (my GF) was born and raised there and didn't leave the area until 1933, and other family members are still there.

h; Mary didn't die until after WW1 and her daughter in law after WW2 so the history that Mary was my GGF's mother is positive plus the belief that her de facto was his father was never bought into question.  He carried the mans surname and it has passed on through to the sixth generation, when is fact it should be Kelly. 

i; On all BDM documentation post 1849 Kelly in never mentioned, for all intents and purposes Mary Bastable was Mary Firth dutiful wife of the respectable hard working Abraham Firth.   The myth of their pasts survived for over 50 years after their deaths.

I have searched through shipping departure records, BDM for other starts, intra state shipping to come to the conclusion that Daniel Kelly was either murdered and his body successfully disposed of or he had another 'life' and his other family took care of his death.  The closest to this is the 1854 death in Victoria where the inquest lists a Patrick as his informant and son, thus making him a bigamist and Mary in a seriously compromised postion socially.

Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 07 03:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Abygail,
Perhaps you replied by Personal Message to the responses on your last thread [linked above]and that's why when I click on it it appears to have gone unacknowledged.
Jenn's question is at the end of the thread and she asks is offering useful info.
"Could this be your man?"

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 07 03:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately my problem is that I have not been able to find Jenn;s reply re Is this your man so I have nothing to refer to to see if her suggestion is useful.  could you c & p it to me?  Abygail 
  Abygail

Offline Walcha72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Granny Dot - my great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 07 04:12 BST (UK) »
Abygail,

If you click on the link Cando included in the second post on this topic, you'll see the replies Sparrett has been referring to.

Debbie
DICKSON, COWAN, ARMSTRONG, MARTIN - Roxburghshire
MITCHELL, MCCORMICK, CAMERON, CLEGG - Argyllshire
HOY - Essex, Australia
GRUNDY - Berkshire, Australia
ROPER - Hampshire, Australia
GILLIES - Aberdeenshire, Australia
BANKHEAD - Ireland?, Australia

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 August 07 06:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Abygail

If you forget about email notifications (I turned them off years ago) the easiest way to find new answers to your queries is the link - top of the board

"Show new replies to your posts". Every time you access RC click this first. It shows any new information on threads you have posted information on.

Always reply to threads on the thread itself (rather than PMs unless it is a private message that you only wish 1 person to see) - this allows everyone to help with your queries.

If you go to your profile (also a link towards top of screen) there is an option to check all your posts. This can also be used to find any postings you have lost track of.

Hope this helps

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk