Author Topic: Robert Barr Age at Death in Index 1947 or Newspaper Obit  (Read 1234 times)

Offline FionaLorraine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Barr Age at Death in Index 1947 or Newspaper Obit
« on: Sunday 05 August 07 09:27 BST (UK) »
After all this time I've managed to find the death date of a Robert Barr manager and secretary of Celtic Belfast Football Club - he disappeared off the street indexes after 1947 - living at St James Park Moyanna Belfast.  His will [why didn't I look before!] states that his wife was Mary [I bet its is Mary Ellen McErlain or Erlean but not sure yet] and his children were Robert Gerard, Arthur, Francis, Edward Aloysuis and John James Winston.

Can anyone look up his age of death on the death indexes in the GRO.  He died 11/5/1947.  I don't need the death certificate JUST HIS AGE!

There will probably be an Obituary in the newspaper - can anyone look this up?

There may even be a section in the sports pages?

This will tell me if it is indeed Robert Barr born 14/8/1887 Market St Belfast to John and Ann McAuley witness Mary McGarry OR maybe even an older

Robert Barr born 2/1/1859 Glenavy to a Henry Barr and Elizabeth Burns. Witnesses: JOHN HIGGINS  and MARY MCQUILLAN

or maybe even someone else!

Palmer Website: www.davyboynorth.f2s.com/SamPalmer/00]SamPalmerStory.asp
Palmers, Barrs and McGarrys from Antrim/Ballyrobin/Muckamore/Crumlin
McAleaveys from Forkhill Co Armagh and then Whitewell/Glengormley
Traynors/Trainor from Larne then Whitewell/Glengormley also Glasgow

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Barr Age at Death in Index 1947 or Newspaper Obit
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 August 07 11:35 BST (UK) »
Robert could have been born somewhere other than Belfast and just come there to work there. A newspaper obitutary might not give many personal details but could list more about his career (football players and manager did move about a bit).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline FionaLorraine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Barr Age at Death in Index 1947 or Newspaper Obit
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 07 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.  I know from my father that he is connected in some fashion to my own family but it may be a distant connection - I'm not sure.  I know that he had some connection to Glenavy Crumlin as he appears in the Crumlin Bazaar donating money.  The Barr family in the Market street area has many family names that would lead me to believe they are connected to my Barr family who lived in Antrim.  I have a list of all the Robert Barrs born after 1865 so the age on his death would at least allow me to eliminate some of these!  I think he might have married Mary McErlain as the McErlains are in the family too. 

Fiona

Palmer Website: www.davyboynorth.f2s.com/SamPalmer/00]SamPalmerStory.asp
Palmers, Barrs and McGarrys from Antrim/Ballyrobin/Muckamore/Crumlin
McAleaveys from Forkhill Co Armagh and then Whitewell/Glengormley
Traynors/Trainor from Larne then Whitewell/Glengormley also Glasgow