Author Topic: Luke MCDONALD 1843  (Read 2383 times)

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Luke MCDONALD 1843
« on: Sunday 05 August 07 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone can help me.

After several years of searching for the birthplace of my 2 x great grandfather Luke MCDONALD (listed on census data from 1861-1901 in Liverpool, England as "from Ireland", with no detail as to county or parish) I have just discovered that Luke had a sister, Elizabeth, born in 1846 in Killkenny!

I would dearly like to find whereabouts in Kilkenny Elizabeth was born and if Luke was born there too.  Their parents were John MCDONALD and Margaret (nee Fleming). John was an engraver and he had died by 1850, as Margaret was in Liverpool at that date when she remarried to Thomas HOLLOWAY. 

Interestingly, on the 1851 Liverpool census Margaret was listed with her new husband and a baby daughter Mary Ellen.  Neither Luke nor Elizabeth were listed with them  - nor can I find them anywhere in England.    ???

I am now wondering if they stayed with family in Ireland for a while. Luke does, however, appear on the 1861 census in Liverpool with his mother and Elizabeth appears later to marry in Liverpool.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Dorothy
BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
CRANE; PLEAVIN; SUMNER;DUTTON Cheshire; HEWITT (Cheshire & Liverpool);
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
MCVEY; MELLOR in Liverpool PRICE(Denbighshire & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Luke MCDONALD 1843
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 08 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dorothy,

The Dictionary of Occupational Titles shows a lengthy list describing the occupation of engraver. Some of them would have had to live in a city to find work whilst others could have been working in a less densely occupied area. www.occupationalinfo.org/dot_e3.html

Christopher

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Luke MCDONALD 1843
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 08 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this link, Christopher.  I was astonished to find how many types of 'engraver' there were.

As for Luke ................. I'm still looking and hoping!

Best wishes
Dorothy
BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
CRANE; PLEAVIN; SUMNER;DUTTON Cheshire; HEWITT (Cheshire & Liverpool);
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
MCVEY; MELLOR in Liverpool PRICE(Denbighshire & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk