Author Topic: COMPLETED:Kirkmichael Grove, Lockerbie- Margaret Little-nee Shankland  (Read 6839 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
COMPLETED:Kirkmichael Grove, Lockerbie- Margaret Little-nee Shankland
« on: Sunday 05 August 07 15:11 BST (UK) »
Greetings,

Does anyone know where this could be?

It is listed as the place of death, in 1892, of Margaret Little, nee Shankland, aged 82.

I tootled out to Kirkmichael Kirk to see if she was buried there. No luck. She isn't buried at Dryfesdale, or Tundergarth, either.

Margaret was the co-proprietor, with hubby David Little, of the King's Arms Hotel in Lockabie

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkmichael Grove, Lockerbie- Margaret Little-nee Shankland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 August 07 16:01 BST (UK) »
Well silly me, I just realised that I didn't check the Church of Scotland cemetery. That's where she'll be, I bet.

Had a look at the 1891 census. Kirkmichael Grove was the first on Dumfries Rd. Those following were:

Brookland
Spring Lea
Bell Vue
Ravenshill

Would Dumfries Rd house order run from the lights at the police station end?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 07 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

I will be able to confirm your query tomorrow.  Watch this space...

A 1892 burial in Lockerbie would most likely have been in the cemetery brae cemetery about 2 miles outside Lockerbie (heading from the Lochmaben side).

Its a big cemetery so good luck Jamjar.

Jak  ;D
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 07 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Kojak,

If you mean the Dryfesdale cemetery, where the plane crash memorial is, I checked it on Saturday and couldn't find her there. I even looked on the computer in the site office.

This lady's father Robert Shankland was an innkeeper in the High St on the '41 census. He was 65. So, I'm guessing he will be buried in the CofS churchyard. Hopefully, his daughter went in with him.

Jamjar

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 August 07 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

I can have a look in the Lockerbie Library which has a book on the old Dryfesdale MI's if you like...

In the meantime, here is a map of Brooklands - Ravenshill, Lockerbie.

Regards,

Jak  ;D
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 07 10:29 BST (UK) »
Well, well you're a star.  ;)

In giving me Brooklands, you've given me Kirkmichael Grove - now known as The Grove on the map.

Now I even think I know where it may be.

Yes, it would be good if you could check Dryfesdale MIs, ta.

Meanwhile, I have found Robert Shankland's death. He was the proprietor of the Commercial Inn, Lockarbie and Margaret's father. He died 27 - 10 - 1844. If we find him, I think we'll find her.

Also, her mother was Margaret, nee McGaffie. No death on Scots people, so she likely died pre 1855.

I'm off to Dumfries Library to check Valuation rolls. I can't find any reference to the Commercial Inn, on the net. I do wonder if it still exists, but has a change of name. Do you know of any pubs on High St?

Jamjar

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

I have had some success!

In the southern section of the old Dryfesdale churchyard (the one in middle of Lockerbie), Robert Shankland (d. 27 October 1844 aged 69) is buried alongside his spouse Margaret McGaffie (d. 8 April 1847 aged 66).  Also buried in same lair are their son Thomas Shankland (d. 27 February 1849 aged 44) and his wife Mary Hutton (d. 19 June 1859 aged 54).

I had a look through the MIs and couldnt find any reference for Margaret Little (nee Shankland) the above Robert and Maragret's daughter.

I did however find that she died on 12 November 1892 aged 82 (as you know).  There appears to be a newspaper article about her death in the Dumfries and Galloway Standard.  The Ewart should have the microfische extract of the newspaper.  Perhaps the article states where she was buried.

The Microfische reader was in use today, so alas, I cant confirm.

Good look hunting

Jak  ;D

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Kojak.

I was at the churchyard, today. I found both headstones.

Thanks to your map I have been able to take a photo of Kirkmichael Grove, also. It is now called The Grove.

Only thing I haven't found is Commercial Inn, Lockerbie. It is looking promising, though, as I have had an email from a woman who says she is part of the larger Shankland family.

Thanks again, Kojak  ;D

Jamjar

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 15:38 BST (UK) »
Wonderful news!

I have enquired through someone I know who has a lot of old photographs of Lockerbie High Street to see where the Old Commercial inn was located.

From speaking with some locals I am informed it could well have been up near where the Town Hall is today (on the corner of the High Street and Bridge Street), but there must be some old photographs.

One thought I had earlier...have you looked through the photographic archives in the Ewart?  The cabinets behind where the two archivists sit in the reference section along from the microfische readers are full of old photographs.

Maybe worth a look...

Best wishes,

Jak  :D