Author Topic: COMPLETED:Kirkmichael Grove, Lockerbie- Margaret Little-nee Shankland  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkmichael Grove, Lockerbie- Margaret Little-nee Shankland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 18:14 BST (UK) »
Ooo, no I didn't know about the photos. I'll be looking tomorrow.  :D

I'll be in Lockerbie on Friday, so will check the library there, also.

I saw two little pubs, today. I did wonder if they were the inn with a new name. Both were on that part of the High St. Town Planning should know.

Thanks, Kojak.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

I'd suggest asking at the Ewart if you go back tomorrow.

They the font of all wisdom.

Jak  ;D
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

I have asked around and the most likely site of the old Commercial Inn is considered to be where the currently vacant former chemist/newsagent is today, located opposite the Tower Fish bar at the Cross on Lockerbie's High Street.

I have attached two images.  The first is a photograph of the building taken in 1890.  The sketch drawing is of the same site from pre 1848.  In this sketch, I believe I can identify the word "Inn" on the signage board and the first word could well be commercial.

See what you think...

Ian Henderson. the local solicitor who has retired I think, but still has an office on the High Street has the original painting in the upstairs rooms, and he may well be able to assist you.  If you were to contact their office, they may be able to assist.  On your behalf, I have telephoned their office to see if the paintings are still there, and they are!

The Ewart Library may well have the same images in their archives.  It's definitely worth a look.

Hope you find it.

Jak  :D

Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kojak,  :)

Yes, it looks like the word Inn to me.

Funny you should mention Mr Henderson. I was in a shop near John Jardine's, on Saturday. The lady told me to speak to Mr. Henderson, as she said he would possibly recall the Jardine painters, of Main St., to whom I am related. I have his phone number.

I'll go to the office, when I'm in Lockerbie, on Friday.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
COMPLETED: Kirkmichael Grove, Lockerbie- Margaret Little-nee Shankland
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 August 07 07:10 BST (UK) »
Morning Kojak,

I have found the location of the Commercial. It was on one of those very large maps, which they have in the library. It was situated opposite the Church of Scotland. About where there is now a shop selling flowers out the front. I was actually parked outside the place, last weekend.

So, that's it on this branch.

I'm now off on a new search: Jardine/Irving/Carruthers. Bet, I'll still need your help.   ???

Jamjar

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED:Kirkmichael Grove, Lockerbie- Margaret Little-nee Shankland
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 August 07 08:57 BST (UK) »
Wonderful find Jamjar.

The Ewart has a great range of archives.  I looked at the old maps a while back and it took ages to get them unrolled.

No problems with assisting you on next lot of queries...

Jak  ;D

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 August 07 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, Kojak

Yes, resources here are amazing. We have nothing like it in Australia.  :'( Then again, we don't have much of a history in our parts.

The maps, I have seen, are in big boxes and are hanging up. 

The sun is shining!   :D Will it last the day?  ???

Jamjar

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 August 07 09:49 BST (UK) »
Jamjar,

There are more maps in the vault (you need to ask for them).

From memory, they are a bit later but have much more definition (i.e of a bigger scale).

The all come rolled up. 

Today it will be mostly sunny an warm (August is usually warmest month in Dumfriesshire).

Jak  8)

Offline farish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jamjar

Saw your information on Margaret Shankland. Her father Robert and my direct ancestor Duncan were brothers but there was a big age gap. I know exactly where the Grove is and coincidentally at one point in time, on the other side of my family, my grandmother's cousin John Rithet lived in it after he retired from Pennersaughs Farm

Farish
shankland,farish,vallance, renwick, hastie