Author Topic: could this be him  (Read 935 times)

Offline benrymnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
could this be him
« on: Sunday 05 August 07 17:23 BST (UK) »
I am tracing my bennett family tree 1 person I am trying to follow at present is john william bennett born 1875 in warrington at about the age of 13 his mother died and he and his father moved to little hulton nr bolton his younger brother(my grandfather) and sister were put into an orphanage/work house.
I know my grandfather moved to little hulton by 1900 and married and john william emigrated to america,this is were I get a little hopeful I found a john william bennett and his wife emgrating to america in 1906 with there son fred daughters francis and alice so looking at the 1901 census I find john william bennett wife margaret jane and son fred living in little hulton but here comes the big question could this be my john william bennett, what places my doubt is that this john william is shown as being born in little hulton and not warrington is it likely there could be a mistake in the birth place or is this another john william bennett altogether.Looking forward to your thoughts.
regards ray

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: could this be him
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 August 07 17:39 BST (UK) »
there is a john william bennett birth regd. in warrington in 1875 which you obviously know about.
there is a john william bennett birth regd. in salford in 1876.
salford is the registration district for little hulton.
so there are definately two .
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 07 21:20 BST (UK) »
Little Hulton people would think of themselves as  being in Bolton district. It's part of the parish of Deane. The office for Salford is MILES away. Just to the north east of Little Hulton is Farnworth, which is also the district covering Bolton Union Workhouse. BMDs from Little Hulton might be registered there if that was the direction the people took to work.

I think I've found the family you refer to:- in 1901 they are at 21 Princess St, Farnworth. The John Bennett there seems to be the same one as is at 140 Manchester Rd, Little Hulton in 1891, when he is with his parents Richard and Frances. They are in Tyldesley in 1881. There's no sign of any connection with Warrington, and no sign of a middle name.

What do you have which does link you to Warrington?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline benrymnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 07 21:14 BST (UK) »
thanks for the reply andrew.
I have details of john william bennetts birth 07,june,1875 warrington father henry bennett mother mary bennett nee tomlinson. 1891 census henry bennett living with second wife emma at 39/40 manchester rd little hulton,(his first wife had died)no sign of john william.As I couldn't find him at the childrens home were his younger siblings went after their mothers death I assumed he had travelled to little hulton with his father,(rightly or wrongly).I know john william went to america as my grandfather(john williams brother) had told me,and after many hours searching found a john william (from little hulton) emigrating with his wife in 1906,and thought this could be my john william,but it seems I am wrong and ive done to much assuming.Will have to start again from 1891 to see if he stayed in warrington or did actually go to little hulton.