Author Topic: The Dear family grocers of Huntingdon  (Read 2812 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The Dear family grocers of Huntingdon
« on: Monday 06 August 07 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am looking for suggestions and ideas,  I am trying to trace some family lines forward.  My 3xgreat grandad James Dear came to Huntingdon in about 1828 and opened up (or took over) a grocery and tallow chandlery business,  he was also greatly involved in the founding of Trinity non-comformist church in Huntingdon,  in fact there is a portrait of him hanging in the building which is now Huntingdon Records Office (sadly they won't let me photograph it though   :'(  ).   

He had 8 children several of whom stayed in Huntingdon.  his eldest son (my 2 x great grandfather), another James (born 1828 Huntingdon)  seems to have taken over the grocery business and ran it until about 1880 when his brother Ebenezer took it on - it was on the High Street in Huntingdon, and from the historical directories on-line was still being run by him in 1914.  I would love to find out what happened to this business in later years.

James the younger had 13 children.  I have found most of the family members in most of the census's,  what I am really after is ideas to find out what happened to the family after 1901.  I have very little information and sadly no photographs - my gran didn't like her mother-in-law much and after her death threw the lot out.

Can anyone advise about local papers etc where I might find obits and the like - maybe even a photo of a member of this family who were quite prominent trades people, and I think Ebenezer was also a councilor at one time.

Any advice welcome - thanks

Debbie

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Dear family grocers of Huntingdon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
hi
Dont know that I can be of much help, but I just picked up on your post because one branch of my family went into the grocery business. Various sons set up (or took over)grocery shops in all different parts of the country, and like you I wonder we followed them through various diectories. and like you, we wondered what eventually happened to the various shops and businesses.

As for tracing after 1901. From 1911 the full BMD indexes are invaluable, as they give surname of spouse on the marriages, and mothers maiden name on the births. i have traced many a branch forward simply with those indexes alone, if they have an unusual ish name and stay in the area. Sadly they are no longer free to search online. If you have a subscription to ancestry they are. If not, and you can get into London, then you can search free in person att eh FRC for a bit longer before it moves.
Another resourse I have found invaluable are wills. Often a will will mention all of the deceased's offspring, sometimes giving the married names of daughters, mentioneing son or daughter in laws, sometimes giving addresses etc, often mentioneing other family members. Then when th eperson actually dies and probate is granted, if one of the 'children' is executor, as if often the case, then it will have their address at the time. Helps no end in tracing movement of the next generation. Also gives occupation - so you can see if they are still grocers or not.

Electorall Rols are also good for the later years. I believe they too would be at the Record Office
By the 1900's many more people left wills, and I have been lucky with my grocers (ag labs not so successsful!)

I was also goingto suggest going to Hunts record office and seeing what they have - but loks like you have done that one already!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 07 17:20 BST (UK) »
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz  Thank you very much for your suggestions - I shall have a go at the full BMD indexes and see if I can pick them out, unfortunatly I am not able to travel to Huntingdon to the Records Office at the moment so I can't access the electoral rolls etc.

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk