Author Topic: My book, advice please.  (Read 1783 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My book, advice please.
« on: Monday 06 August 07 17:10 BST (UK) »
I am writing a book about my great grandfather and his four brother who were all killed in WW1.
All from Clydebank, Scotland

In one of the chapters I want to write a piece on my 4x great grandfather, who was in prison several times, plus three of his sons aged 9, 11, & 13.Who were in Paisley Prison.

My dad is unsure I should mention this as I may offend someone, any living descendants  ???

What do you think? It makes interesting reading, I have lots of material I viewed and ordered from Edinburgh.
Descriptions, witness statements, crimes etc...

But I don't want to offend anyone either  :-\

Thank you.

Does anyone if Paisley Prison is still there?
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: My book, advice please.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 07 18:59 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure why someone would be offended for something that happened so long ago. Does it maybe bother your dad? I have a couple convict stories in my long-ago tree and they make for great conversations at family events.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 07 19:18 BST (UK) »
I agree with Kath...it did happen a long time ago. I think that it would make fascinating reading and it wouldn't offend me if he was one of my ancestors, and you have the facts to back it up.

Are you going to get the book published? I'd love to read it  :)

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 07 19:56 BST (UK) »
you should definitely include all the details.
all the things that happened to him made him the man he was and i don't think you should 'censor' his life on the off chance that someone maybe offended by it.
besides not only is it a tale of your own family history its also about the social history of the time (which was often brutal and unjust)
sue
Census information, Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Kennaway, Britton, Cruickshank, Jamieson, Wood, Braidwood, Swan, Inglis (Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Greenock, Glasgow, Lanarks)
Cotton, Wood, Beckwith, Edwards, Rutland, Burgess, Davies (Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Bucks, Staffs)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 August 07 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
I would have thought that one of your first moves should be to discover if the prison is still there.   I am surprised you have not done so.  Photographs and descriptions of life inside at the time will add a great deal to your narrative.  The fact that such young children were there is odd and needs further investigation.   Ignore your own family story and look at the wider picture - you may then be able to decide if you want to put the details in.   However, I would be sorry to upset my Dad about that sort of thing.  Many years ago I sent around a tree that made it clear there was illegitimacy in the family.  It caused great upset to elderly relatives, although they all knew, and I have been wary ever since.
Andrea

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your replies  :)

KathMc I don't think it would upset my dad, well I know it won't.
He was worried that someone might read the book, who is descend from that side of the family, and will get offended.

Mitchell I am hoping to get the book published.
It is just a the notes stage at the moment, but I do have eight chapters so far.
I will let you know if anyone is interested in publishing it.

It was by ordering his Poor Relief application that I found out he was in prison.
I contacted the Mitchell Library, who could not help.
They said it could have been Stirling Prison, so I never knew it was Paisley Prison until I visited the NAS in Edinburgh last week, and looked through the prison records.
Which I have ordered, and found out so much more.
There were no photo's but I have contacted Paisley Library.
The first time he was in prison, there are no records as it was in the 1850's.

I think I need to visit Paisley next.  ;D

Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 07 23:43 BST (UK) »
Good luck with the book. And I wouldn't worry about some long-lost relative coming out of the woodwork and getting upset. As long as those close to you are okay with it, then go for it.

Keep us posted.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,

It maybe offensive or at least not looked at kindly by other living relatives. If it is so good why don't you change characters names and make it fictional but based on a true life story. If the stories are good and unique enough, it would not offend anyone if names were changed.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 00:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for you advice Tom,
I am still going see if I can find any descendants.
I am in touch with two, who have no problem with me writing the book.
And are very interested in what I have found out.

The main reason for the book is because my great grandfather and his four brothers, were all killed in WW1.
I visited the Western Front this year, to Somme and Ypres (Iper)
But I would love to add the chapter on my g grandfather ancestors, and their time in Paisley Prison.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz