Author Topic: Copyhold Cottage  (Read 4172 times)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Copyhold Cottage
« on: Monday 06 August 07 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi to all you clever people,

Can anybody tell me what a copyhold cottage was please?  These were mentioned in a will dated 1822.

Thank you.

MaryA
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Copyhold Cottage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 07 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyhold

and

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/mdr/help/mdr/mdrfaq.htm :

What is copyhold?

Copyhold tenure, as opposed to freehold or leasehold, was a form of landholding peculiar to manors. Copyhold tenants were restricted in what they could do with their land and needed permission from the manorial court to inherit, sell, sublet, buy or mortgage their copyhold property. These transactions, referred to as admissions and surrenders, were written down in the formal record of the court, that is the court roll or court book, and a copy of the entry given to the new tenant as proof of title. The term copyhold therefore derives from the fact that the land was held by copy of the court roll. Copyhold tenants were also subject to certain customary payments. For example, when a new tenant took over copyhold property he had to pay an entry fine to the lord of the manor and when a copyhold tenant died a payment called a 'heriot' had to be made. Copyhold was abolished by the Law of Property Act 1922.

I've had some in my lines as well  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 07 21:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Gadget, I originally thought it was a style of cottage  ;D ;D

That makes it much clearer.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 07 21:03 BST (UK) »
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 09:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob, another successful hit for your Lexicon, I probably should have just looked there first  ::)  :D :D

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 09:36 BST (UK) »
I probably should have just looked there first

Difficult one to answer.

This topic has some information that complements the "lexicon topic", so now this topic is also in the lexicon  :)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)