Author Topic: Buralston Devon?? Does it exist?  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Darcy2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Buralston Devon?? Does it exist?
« on: Tuesday 14 December 04 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows if a place called Buralston, Devonshire exists or existed around 1851.  I found an entry for Mary Curner who I think may be related to my family in some way.  On the 1851 census sample it says  Mary Curner, 65, birth place 'Buralston, Devon". 

I used mapquest and it came up with nothing.  I was wondering if this could maybe be "Beer Alston" since a lot my relatives by the same last name are from that region  (bere ferrers, beer ferris, bere Alston ? ...the names all seem to be similar from the same region)  I'm thinking perhaps the census person heard "buralston" with her (or whoever gave the info) accent but it was actually bere Alston.  Do you think this is likely or have you heard of a Buralston, devon before?  THanks!!

Kathy
Canada

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buralston Devon?? Does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Buralston does exist - it was a census sub-district in 1851 and 1861. It is now better known as Bere Alston. It is in West Devon, near Tavistock.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debbi2k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Buralston Devon?? Does it exist?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 December 04 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Being a Devon Dumpling I would prononuce Bere Alston exactly as you say the emumerator wrote it.

Debbi ;)
Emery,Willis,Cawsey,Gibbings,Stevens and Newcombe;Devon
Monk,Griffths,Kingdon ; Gloucs,Oxfordshire and Bristol
Janes;Woolwich,Charlton
Sculpher;Norfolk,Bermondsey
Grubb:Wiltshire
Morgan and Davis;Eglwysilan,Glam
Kingdon,Saunders,Greedy,Tarr;Somerset
Poore;Berkshire