Author Topic: Confused by Reece's and Sedgeleys  (Read 2081 times)

Offline nedroma

• RootsChat Extra
  • All Census information is Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Confused by Reece's and Sedgeleys
« on: Monday 06 August 07 22:19 BST (UK) »
I hope someone can help me to understand what has gone on here.

I have a marriage cert for the marriage of Thomas Trumper and Martha Reece at Ryton on 25 March 1856

Thomas Trumper; 26 or 27 ; Bachelor; Servant; residing at Atchley; fathers name = blank
Martha Reece; 16; Spinster; Servant; residing at Atchley; father = Thomas Sedgeley, gamekeeper.

The photographic copy of the marriage entry provided by the GRO seems to suggest that the Thomas Sedgely info may have been wriiten on a piece of paper and stuck in the register over whatever was there before. It maybe explains why there appears to be no detail for Thomas Trumper's father

In the 2nd qtr of 1857 John Trumper is born to Thomas Trumper and Martha at Beckbury  (so they didn't have to get married) and in the 1st qtr of 1860 Sarah Trumper  is born also at Beckbury.

Intruigingly in  the 1871 census Sarah Trumper aged 11 is not with her family Thomas, Martha, John and others but   is at Morville with her grand-parents Thomas and Sarah Sedgeley (Piece 2740; Folio 42; Page 16).

The age given for Martha Reece on the marriage certificate is very clearly 16 suggesting at date of birth of 1839/1840. Subsequent census information suggests that Martha was born at Acton Rounds. A search of the Birth indexes for 1839 and 1840 quarter by quarter contains no Martha Reece or Martha Sedgeley born in Shropshire.

I hope you now understand my confusion!
Morden - london area; Turner - London area;Hubbard -essex(thorpe le soken); Price - London area

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by Reece's and Sedgeleys
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 07 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thomas Trumper may have been born out of wedlock hence no father given on marriage cert.

with ref to martha having the surname Reece and fathers name Sedgley either he is her father but did not marry her mother or he adopted her after he did marry her mother.

would they have had to marry by licence if she was 16? i.e permission of her parent usually the father, if permission was not given she may have said Thomas Sedgley was her father and he gave permission on the pretence that he was her father. whoever Thomas Sedgley may be.

i though tin the early days of registration, some parents had their child baptised or registered but not both, maybe i misunderstood this.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline nedroma

• RootsChat Extra
  • All Census information is Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by Reece's and Sedgeleys
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 15:54 BST (UK) »
 Thank you Toni - I had wrongly assumed that any BMD event after July 1837 was registered, but I guess on reflection there had to be a transition period.

A search of the IGI fortunately came up with a christening for Martha Rees at Acton Round  in June 1839 which named her mother as Sarah Rees, but gave no father's name. Martha gives Acton or Acton Round as place of birth in later censuses.

After some further research I now think that

Thomas Sedgley ( a Gamekeeper) was the father of Martha but did not marry Sarah at the time of Martha's birth; the birth is not registered but Martha is christened in her mother's name and the father's name is withheld.

Thomas Sedgley appears to marry a Mary Taylor in 1847. Unfortunately I am unable to locate him in the 1851 census, but in the 1861 Census he is at Morville Hall with a  wife Mary.

Sarah Reece's daughter Martha marries Thomas Trumper in 1856 and on this occasion her father's name is included in the official entry; their 2nd child Sarah Trumper is born in 1860

Mary Sedgley (ne Taylor )dies in the 1st quarter of 1865.

Thomas Sedgley marries the long suffering Sarah Reece in the summer of 1866 and they would appear to be bringing up Sarah Trumper (i.e in the 1871 census she is with them aged 11 and listed not as a visitor but as a granddaughter).

Once again a rootschat member has helped me to overcome an apparent obstacle; thank you Toni and to all the other rootschatters who so freely give of their valuable time and experience.

Morden - london area; Turner - London area;Hubbard -essex(thorpe le soken); Price - London area