Author Topic: Janet Young - Help Appreciated.  (Read 5594 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Young - Help Appreciated.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 August 07 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott (and Tom),

You mention Janet/Jessie.

It's interesting that your people named a daughter Janet Georgina and then a daughter Jessie Elizabeth - which seems to indicate that they didn't see them as interchangeable.  BUT then your lot seem to have sometimes referred to Janet Georgina as Georgina, and to Jessie Elizabeth as Janet.  Hmmm!!

My Gggran (born Victoria Australia of a Scottish mother) was variously recorded as Janet or Jessie.

I guess how far back depends to a large degree on where you are searching i.e. on how the far back the records for the parish extend (unless one has important forebears - if only)!  I haven't gone all that far back though, on my children's paternal line there is the very rare name LOCHTIE which appears in Aberdour as far back as those records go and earlier in Dunfermline (noted as from Aberdour) in the early 1600s.  I'm sure it's the same family but ...
Dunfermline records certainly go well back.

Regards,

JAP

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Young - Help Appreciated.
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 August 07 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott and JAP,

One of the alternative names for Elizabeth was Bessie, would that mean that Jessie was known as Jessie Bessie Wren? i can imagine her getting leg pulled at school.

Tom

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.