Author Topic: family search tips  (Read 1121 times)

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
family search tips
« on: Tuesday 07 August 07 18:00 BST (UK) »
I have just got the hang of using the family search website for finding the children of a couple.  The thing is, when i find record of a birth or christening how can i get the website to take me to other records about the same person, for example their marriage or death.  I can only find them for people i already know about by specifically searching for them. 
How can i use the seach facility better to find out more information?
caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
Re: family search tips
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can I be really cheeky and ask how you find the children of a couple.

Many thanks for letting me use your thread.

Regards

Half Pint
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 18:31 BST (UK) »
lol!  i only just worked it myself!  from the home page click on search, then you should get a page full of 'stuff'.  you just put in the name of the mother and the father and put the region as british isles and the country as scotland or england and then search.
hope this makes sense, i have found loads out by doing this!
caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 18:33 BST (UK) »
Half Pint- (Option 1) click 'search' tab and on that screen fill in father's first and last names and either mother's first and last name or just her first name (sometimes gets more results for the family you are looking for). Fill in nothing else and hit search key.
(Option 2) You can also go to IGI and do same on search page in addition to clicking location options. For example, British Isles, England, Somerset to narrow down a common surname if you know the area but that sort of search would miss records listed merely under England or records in Personal Resource File, etc. so I usually prefer the first option.

Caroline- not sure if I understand your question corretly but are you doing a very general search (Option 1)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 18:44 BST (UK) »
it's just that when i search for the children of say, richard bow and janet richardson in scotland, i get a list of their children but i don't know how to search for the marriage or deaths of the children.
i think there is a way becasue i did it by accident once, linked the records together.
i know this doesn't make much sense, sorry

your explanation was much better than mine!  i only just figured out how to do it a few days ago
caroline

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Many thanks for your suggestions.  I will now go away and try them.

Good hunting everyone

Half Pint
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 18:55 BST (UK) »
There are fewer death than birth/baptism & marriage records on LDS site.
Many of the records are not linked (extracted baptismal records, etc. but many submitted records are linked and you can see family by clicking 'family') Have you tried this? However, often there are two or more records for the same family members, possibly due to records submitted by more than one person.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 18:59 BST (UK) »
yes i've tried that.  it must just be lock if you manage to get them linked.  i'm only just getting the hang of this site and i'm not complaining because i've found quite a lot of information for free, and also found a fair amount that i could have got for free if i'd known where to look!  it does seem to be a bit hit and miss though doesn't it?
caroline

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 05:41 BST (UK) »
In "extracted" records on the IGI the only "links" I have ever found are

1. A birth/christening with an associated death/burial - if a child died shortly after birth/christening the death/burial may be on the same record. (These are the only deaths I have ever found in extracted records)

2. Name of a parent on a marriage record - If a parent (usually father) is on a parish register marriage record, that name is sometimes on the IGI marriage record.

Most other "links" are from "submitted" records from LDS church members & may/may not be accurate.

The usual way on the IGI to generate your own links is via further searches in the same or nearby parishes. This can often be done via searching specific batches - noting that marriages and baptism/births are usually in separate batches. This site can help
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

but it was last updated in 2002 & there are IGI batches that are not in the lists.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk