Author Topic: Phillippa BONE mystery (from Allmon SNELL post) Was she married before?  (Read 7375 times)

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Phillippa BONE mystery (from Allmon SNELL post) Was she married before?
« on: Wednesday 08 August 07 06:11 BST (UK) »
From postings in the Allmon SNELL topic, I made this post because the other post is about Allmon SNELL.

I am very confused now and could use some help.  From the Allmon SNELL topic, though we can still not find Allmon.. it seems some people think that Phillipa BONE who married James SNELL (Allmon's parents) was not born a BONE.

As she is about 10 years older than James SNELL, some have suggested that she is also the mother of the BONE children living with her in St Austell in 1841.  She was called Phillipa MELL, and there were three Bone children, Priscilla, Fanny and Mary BONE.

Someone found baptism details for these BONE children born to William and Philedelphia BONE at the IGI (St Stephens Bramel).. and a marriage between a William BONE and Philedelphia SKIDGEMORE.  As well as a death for a William BONE prior to the marriage to James SNELL.

Could Philedelphia = Phillipa  ???

So now I am very confused, and wonder if Phillipa BONE is her married name.  From the online parish records for Conwall in St Stephens (Bramel) it didn't show whether Phillipa was a spinster or widow, when she married James SNELL.

I would like to hear what others think.  Or is there any way to figure out.   ???
STAGG/MARTIN/EAGLE/SPACKMAN - WILTSHIRE
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Phillippa BONE mystery (from Allmon SNELL post) Was she married before?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 07:09 BST (UK) »
Hi aussiegalx,

I think the first thing you need is to get that entire 1828 marriage entry and see if Philippa's marital status is listed.  :D

I have looked and looked for this also and have not found another option for Philippa. The one thing I am not particularly keen on re Philadelphia Skidgemore is that she was baptised in 1791. You Philippa is very consistant with a birth in 1796 as gained from 1841-1861 census.

The only inconsistency I see is... I presume Philippa died in 1864 listing at burial 9 Dec 1864 aged 75 years (way out from aged 65 in 1861 and 75 in 1864) of Wrestling Downs (Coroners Inquest)

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~staustell/Data/Bur/SA/SA1860-64O-Z.htm

Now if your Philippa is the same person as Philadelphia/William we note they had at least 3 children in St Stephen in Brannel 1817-1821.

Amelia 4 Jan 1817
Eliza 25 Dec 1819
Angelet 12 Jun 1821

There is the possible burial for William 13 Oct 1824 St Stephens in Brannel aged 37 years.

Now from there we have the baptism of Fanny 13 Feb 1825 St Stephens in Brannel parents listed William and Philippa . Now if this is the same couple father William is dead. I would think the actual entry should say so.

(Childrens names and ages are roughly similar enough to maybe be the children from 1841 census and I do not see other possibilities for Philadelphia and these children in 1841 census nor burials before 1837)

Now these records are all St Stephen in Brannel, so you have several options to gain the entire entries for these events. I know the OPC has been previously mentioned.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7Eboneplace/stsib.html

Did you contact her? If she is unable to help, the Cornwall Records Office will be able to supply copies of these records for you for a small fee. You could try emailing them and giving the dates and asking for the full entries. They are very accommodating, where you already have the parish and date. Also you could hire the St Stephen films from your local LDS library, not expensive.

These baptisms are after the forms appear so a more information is available from the complete entries. I would be interested in Residence and Occupation of William re the baptisms of the 3 children listed to William and Philadelphia and compare it with the baptism listed to William and Fanny in 1825. Also is there mention of William being deceased at that 1825 baptism.

Most importantly of all - the marriage to James Snell - What is Philippa's marital status?

All the best............Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 07:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply.  You have given me very interesting things to look into, that I hadn't thought of.  So thank you.

It is just so confusing, as in not being able to find Phillipa SNELL's son Allmon in 1841, and Phillipa being listed as MELL, or BELL.

I will definately follow up with the OPC and I really appreciate you giving me leads I had not thought of.  I had not known that there would be more information available, so now I know where to look.

Jenny
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 07:30 BST (UK) »
Philippa is not listed as Mell or Bell ausiegalx. That is just what someone transcribed the names as. As you know the Enumerators writing of the name  was poor. The name is Snell. We are not responsible for how others transcribe a name. What is important is the original. Think about what you may have transcribed the name as if you looked at that entry and didn't know what it was. When you do not know I think you would be more likely to give it a M or B than a Sn  ;)

As to Allmon, I am afraid you just have to accept he was left off the census. We have all looked and looked and he is not there. It was quite a large household and he was forgotten. Many people were omitted from censuses.  :'(

Let us know when you have the complete entries, we are all curious  ;D

Cheers Kris  :D

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 07:34 BST (UK) »
You are right of course.  I meant 'transcribed' but I said listed instead lol.  I had seen the original image at Ancestry and of course again you are right, I wouldn't know how to transcribe it properly either so I can easily understand the difference in transcriptions.

I will let you know when/if I can get the complete entries.  And again you are right  ;D  I probably do have to give up on Allmon.  But I do appreciate everyone helping find him.  Chalk it down to as you said, that he was left off.

Thanks again for your help  ;D
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 08:51 BST (UK) »
just a thought - have you looked for a death for Philedelphia Skidgemore / Bone? 
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni,

There is no death listed from the birth of children till 1837

(Childrens names and ages are roughly similar enough to maybe be the children from 1841 census and I do not see other possibilities for Philadelphia and these children in 1841 census nor burials before 1837)

Cheers ...........Kris  :D

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 August 07 03:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kris

I have emailed Rita, the OPC, and will let you know if I get a reply.

Cheers

Jenny
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 August 07 07:25 BST (UK) »
I heard back from Rita   :o  There are no further details other than what has been transcribed.  So there is no way to tell if Philipa = Philedelphia.  Though Rita thinks it is possible.

So the parish record of the marriage between Phillipa BONE and James SNELL provides no further information  ???

I wonder if this will be another mystery not to be solved  :'(

Thanks Kris for your help and opinion.  It is appreciated.

Jenny
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL