Author Topic: Missing COLLIER in Dewsbury?  (Read 9353 times)

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing COLLIER in Dewsbury?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 August 07 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood,

I do have Aunty Bea's wedding pic, and she DEFINITELY looks strikingly like her 2 'sisters'.

That could be coincidental.

A cousin in Yorkshire is going to try and check out the local GRO offices and see if he can't locate her somehow.

I will report on his progress.

Thanks again,
Rupie
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 August 07 21:23 BST (UK) »
Does this new  info help?

Catharine and John COLLIER were married in Ilkley at the Parish Church, Dec 24th 1875.  In 1891 we know that Catharine was with her sister Mary Young (mistranscribed Mary B Fanny on the census) in Lockwood.  In 1881, the Youngs were in Ilkley.

Since John died in 1881, and Isabel Beatrix was born in 1883, is it possible that Catharine was living with the Youngs when Isabel was born?

Alternately, perhaps the Youngs had already moved to Lockwood, and she was living with them there, as George Edwin's death in 1885 was registered in Dewsbury.

Therefore, I think we shall find Isabel Beatrix, hopefully as a COLLIER, in the registers for Jun (maybe Sep) 1883 in either Lockwood (reg Dewsbury) or Ilkley (reg Wharfedale).

Does anyone have access to Parish Records for Lockwood or Ilkey for the period 1883-1885?

I have tried, as best I can, to track down all of Catharine Hill COLLIER's brothers and sisters for the period concerned.  I cannot find anyone who could be Isabel, but I haven't been able to locate all of her brothers yet.  I am still missing (all born in Leeds) Arthur HILL (b 1845), Edwin HILL (b 1849), and Charles HILL (b 1858) on the 1891 census.

Back to work....
Rupie
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 12 August 07 21:39 BST (UK) »
CORRECTION:

Lockwood registers in Huddersfield.

The Dewsbury connection now has me completely confused.

Rupie

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 12 August 07 23:09 BST (UK) »
I can't find Arthur in 1891 either.
I am sure you already have done this though- his wife may well have died - there is a Lucy Hill death in Worcester.
Some of his children then seem to be back in Yorkshire for 1891.
Lucy is a servant in Ilkley; Amy - a servant in Letham, Yorks;  Charles and Gertrude  are  orphans in Headingley .
The orphans indicate that Arthur has died - although no death for him on Free BMD and there is no sign of Catherine b 1880/1.

Perhaps George Edwin's death certificate would shed some light on the matter re Catharine's address during those years. If you found where he died exactly, maybe those parish records would help.

Nor can I find the other brothers as you say in 1891. Found Christopher B in 1901 with sister Jane- they do seem to be a close knit family so you wonder about this child Isabel and why those two ended up in an orphanage.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 13 August 07 09:38 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 13 August 07 11:10 BST (UK) »
I've looked for them in 1891 and 1901 - I have tried first name/ place of birth/ county etc but still don't turn up. You never know they may have emigrated too.
I do think it strange that there is no sign of Isabel Beatrix in the registers- I wonder if she is there as 'female' rather than named?

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 13 August 07 11:11 BST (UK) »
or under her initials, in a workhouse perhaps?

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 13 August 07 11:19 BST (UK) »
I realise we don't have the answers but why? Why would she be in a workhouse? Why is she not with her mother? Why are the others in a workhouse? All these whys :-\
Oh I don't know  ::)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 13 August 07 11:35 BST (UK) »
I've looked for female patients and inmates but nothing. I do wonder if she 'chose' a child to take to Canada ..but then again ..why  ???