Author Topic: Wink family  (Read 5242 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Wink family
« on: Thursday 09 August 07 17:25 BST (UK) »
My  4x gt grandmother was Barbara Wink b 1785 Elgin. Her parents were Alexander Wink and  Margaret Dunn.(IGI) She had a brother Charles born 1781 also Elgin.(IGI) This is the sum total I know of this family and cannot seem to find anything else. There is also a marriage for an Alexander to Barbara Dunn 1778 at St Andrews Lhanbryd they had a daughter Margaret b 1780. Is this the same Alexander? was he married to sisters or was Barbara in fact Margaret, and she had a name change. I can find no marriage for Alexander Wink and Margaret Dunn. Any help at all please.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wink family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 07 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hello ,

I have your Barbara Wink dying at age 82, on 30 April 1866 in Hopeman, Parish of Duffus.  She was the widow of John Gray (farmer).  The informant was her grandson (? John McHardy?).  I've a copy of the death entry sourced from Scotlands People.  Shal send it on to you in case you don't have it.

As you'll have found out on IGI there are Winks in the Elgin area going back to the early 1700's. 

Apologies in advance if wahat I'm going to say you know already. For your area of interest i.e. Morayshire., you've several options.

The 4 websites below should yield some info.

The first costs nothing to register and is basically a pay per view site, but does give valuable info  -especially from 1855 onwards.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Go here - search by surname and Winks galore.  This is a free site - run by local govt in Moray.
http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

This is the Moray local govt site and explains their facilities for family history research.
http://www.moray.org/moray_standard/page_39787.html#Tracing_Your_Roots_In_Moray

Rootsweb.  Type in surname Winks only you'll come up with pages and pages of Winks - mainly in the USA.  However,  if you trawl through the pages you will come across family trees fro the Elgin area and they may tie in with yours.  I'sd also try your Gray surname or Dunn.
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

Ooops almost forgot - I came across,  http://www.wink.co.uk/  they claim to be ''Wink and McKenzie one of the oldest legal firms in Moray.'  Based in Elgin.  So, you've a few options in your Wink search.

I'm obsessive when it comes to family history, so shall wish you the very best. 

Take care.  Regards,   Steve (no connections to any Wink)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 07 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi many thanks you have certainly done better than I have. I did look on the sites you mention and came across only a few none of whom seemed connected to mine. I would love the item you have from Scotlands people. She certainly sounds like mine I will have to investigate the John McHardy as I have not come across this name. My gt gt gt grandmother Margaret Gray was the daughter of John and Barbara.Many thanks for all your help.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Winkles92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 22 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

It sounds as though you are researching extended branches of my husbands family. Would love to chat and see if it links up!

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 December 22 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello there. I have spotted your posting. I will get back to you in the New Year. Happy Christmas

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello there. I have spotted your posting. I will get back to you in the New Year. Happy Christmas

Sent a private message.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 13:54 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has come across William Cruickshank and Mary Wink, who were married in Rothes in 1809, I'd be very interested to know what became of them.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.