Author Topic: Alexander Neish family 1911 census - Winnipeg?  (Read 4115 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Neish family 1911 census - Winnipeg?
« on: Friday 10 August 07 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters! I am trying to find the Alexander Neish family in Winnipeg in 1911 census. Alexander was born in Scotland as was  his wife, Mary (nee: Patterson). They had a daughter, Ellen Mary Neish who was born abt 1889 (accounts vary on the year, but she was supposed to have been born in Killkaren, Ayrshire; there was also a younger daughter named Ina (nickname???). I am positive the family was in Winnipeg in 1911 census because in November 1911 the older daughter, Ellen Mary Neish, married.  I have had difficulty navigating the ship's lists but I think I may have found the Mother, Mary and younger daughter, Ina, entering Canada on 7 June 1910; if that is them, Mary was age 40 in 1910 and Ina was age 11. I could not find Ellen or her Father on the same ship, Southwark.  In any event, I think the census will be more helpful to me at this point. Can anyone find them in 1911 in Winnipeg?  Thank you kindly.  Pat

EDIT: FATHER's NAME IS ALEXANDER.....
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
  • John - James William & Peter Elmer Sabiston
    • View Profile
Re: John Neish family 1911 census - Winnipeg?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 07 19:20 BST (UK) »
Here is the census for the Canadian Provinces, I looked in Manitoba and Ontario and I saw Neish's in 1901 and 1906 but nothing in 1911.

(http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/index.jsp)

They may have missed the 1911 census or moved on somewhere else.

Spanish Eyes

Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

I Live In Aldergrove, BC, Canada (Outskirts Of Vancouver).

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 August 07 19:30 BST (UK) »
This is the site to Manitoba Statistics, I only found 4 Neish's under marriages and none match the names you have here.
It seems they may have moved on or never made it to Manitoba.....

(http://web2.gov.mb.ca/cca/vital/Query.php)

Spanish Eyes
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 August 07 19:40 BST (UK) »
there was also a younger daughter named Ina (nickname???).

Ina is often a nickname for Catherine or names like Robina, Georgina, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 August 07 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters! Thank you one and all....It appears my Neish family will continue to be elusive.  :-\   Pat
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 August 07 20:40 BST (UK) »

Maybe they changed the spelling of their last name?? Nash Nish??

Spanish Eyes

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 07 08:28 BST (UK) »
Here are some books free to read online that mention members of the Neish family.

Ourroots - (Neish)
http://www.ourroots.ca/e/search.aspx?field=Page&key=Neish

Western Land Grants
(Other Neish's mentioned, but not John)
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02011102_e.html

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 07 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Janice M, Thank you for the information; I suspect that what happened is that John Neish died sometime after their arrival in Canada; I know for sure that he was deceased by 1927 because the Ellen M. Neish's husband (William A. King) took Ellen and their 5 sons to Chicago to seek medical treatment for Ellen's ovarian cancer. In the 1930 census in Chicago, Ellen is deceased (died a few months earlier) and Mary, Ellen's Mother, is living with the widowed husband and the 5 children and Mary herself is listed as a widow.  Insofaras the younger daughter, Ina -- oral family history was that she reamined in Canada and married possibly several times; her last husband was supposed to be named Walsh  and Ina worked in some capacity for the Prime Minister.   ??? Of course, I have been unable to verify any of that information!  Thanks for your interest; I sincerely doubt that the Neish family left any written legacies, unless Ina herself may have.  Pat

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 07 17:02 BST (UK) »
Illinois Statewide Death Index - 1916 - 1950
There is a Mary Neish as well as a James Neish
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases.html

Janice

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie