Author Topic: Ramage & Brown  (Read 7964 times)

Offline miska

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ramage & Brown
« on: Friday 10 August 07 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I have Elizabeth Brown’s death certificate in 1872 age 51.
Her parents were Robert Brown deceased and Marion Ramage.( not recorded as deceased.)

A marriage record for Robert and Marion , at St Cuthberts in 1814.
Robert was a wright and Marion lived in Grassmarket, her father is recorded as Alexander Ramage a Taylor of Broughton.

I have chased this couple all over. Different leads indicate West Linton ,Pennycuik, Temple and Edinburgh, but I can’t pin them down neither by census nor deaths.

Would anyone have them in their tree.   Regards Miska

Davidson Midlothian & Peebleshire
Paton -Lanarkshire & West Lothian
Foster, Morrison, Linlithgow. &Peterhead
Grandison-Linlithgow,Bo,ness.
Brannan-Queens Ireland

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ramage & Brown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 December 07 23:07 GMT (UK) »
hi pal,

have you this?

1841 census- spring wellboe, broughton

alexander...age 70...tailor...born peeblesshire c1771
mary...age 75...born scotland c1766
elizabeth mckenzie...age 55...manderer
helping wherever possible

Offline miska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 December 07 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Thank you  for that census info,

I think this could be Alex Ramage and Mary Henderson Married 1789 in Tweedsmuir.
They had  8 children on the IGI site among them a Margaret in 1791 and a Mary in 1792 either of whom could be our Marion.
As Marion wasn’t recorded dead on her daughters cert in 1872 I was hoping to find her, but no luck so far. Her married name of Brown is so common and if as I suspect she is Margaret or Mary that widens the field if she used more than one name.
Thanks again miska
Brannan-Queens Ireland

Offline 133NCRE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 March 09 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Dear Miska

I think we are descended from the same 3 x great grandparents namely Robert Brown and Marion Ramage.

I was browsing the internet tonight with family names, in particular my great great grandparents James Watson and Margaret Brown from Carrington Primrose, Midlothian and latterly Rosewell, Midlothian.     Margaret Brown's parents were also Robert Brown and Marion Ramage.   I had found their marriage certificate but hadn't been able to get back any further.

From the information contained in your posts I have retrieved the 1841 census return, Alexander and Mary's MC and the list of their family thus taking my family tree back another generation.   

Are you descended from Margaret Brown's sister, Elizabeth?    If so that would probably make us 4th cousins or something like that.

I live in Edinburgh, Scotland and would be happy to share any information I have.   I'd be interested to know if Margaret had any other siblings and any details about them which I might input into my tree with your consent.

With best wishes and looking forward to hearing from you.

Pat Reid   

Offline miska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 March 09 03:57 GMT (UK) »
This is really interesting Pat. Thank you.

I have been searching for this couple for years and can't get any further.

Elizabeth, daughter of Robert and Marion, married Thomas Davidson in 1839 in Penicuik.
she was 22 in the 1841 census, living in Temple. ( making her born around 1820)
Marion and Robert were Married in 1814 so it seems safe to assume there were earlier children.

In 1851 Elizabeth was living in West Linton.
In 1861 they owned a farm called Kittleyknow, near carlops West Linton.
(which I visited on my last holiday to Scotland last September )
Eliz died at Kittlybridge in 1872 at age 51. (I have cert) This is where I found her Parents names.

Her father is marked deceased but not her mother, which is the reason I have been trying to find her. I've been up a lot of blind allys.

Alexander and Mary Rammage, - I don't have any prove that this is the right couple and hoped to work out through names if there seemed a connection.

Could I ask a bit about your Margaret Brown?
Do you have her Death cert and when and where was she born? is there any other details about her parents on anything.?

according to Elizabeth's, she was born in west linton but that could be an assumption on the part of her son, who filled out the details.

I am sorry I don't have any other siblings, that is why it's great to find out about Margaret. You are welcome to have all I have on Elizabeths children. and all the right and wrong certificates I have downloaded from Scotlands People. for elimination purposes.

My maiden name was Davidson. And although I have lived in Australia for over forty years I was born in West Calder Midlothian (then, now west Lothian).

Thank you for getting in touch.  cheers Margaret Foster

Brannan-Queens Ireland

Offline 133NCRE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Miska

Good to hear from you and it certainly looks like we are related to the same family.   I have Margaret Brown Watson's MC, DC (Marion Ramage recorded as deceased in 1896) and Margaret is on the 1851 census aged 32 in Carrington Primrose, which confirms states that she was born in Peebles, Linton.  The daughter Mary on that census return is my maternal great grandmother.

My email address is (*) and if you care to send me a quick email I will attach the certificates for you to have a look at by return.    I'd be happy to see any of Elizabeth's family certificates too.

I also wanted to ask if you knew any families named Chapman in West Calder before you moved to Australia.    My paternal grandmother was a Chapman and after her mother died, her father remarried and moved, I think, to West Calder.       There was Andrew, his second wife Mary and sons Andrew and George.    They may have had red hair as that seemed to be a Chapman trait.

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Best wishes

Pat :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline 133NCRE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 January 11 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

I sent you an email the other day but, as I've not heard from you, I wondered if you email address had changed.    I just wanted to say I think I found Marion Ramage dau of Alexander Ramage, tailor.    I found a family tree linked to mine and there was a Marion Ramage married to Archibald Watson.     Marion Watson's DC gives parents as Alexander Ramage, Tailor and Janet Anderson.    She was still alive when Elizabeth Brown died.  Her info on census records states she was born in Peeblesshire.

Could this be our 3 x great grandmother?

Look forward to hearing from you.

best wishes

Pat