Author Topic: *completed* Marriage records for 2nd Boardmills  (Read 14988 times)

Offline swindley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*completed* Marriage records for 2nd Boardmills
« on: Saturday 11 August 07 03:26 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what information would be expected to be found on a typical marriage record from the 2nd Boardmills church in 1790?
Can anyone tell me where a copy of the church records might exist?

My 4G-grandfather James McFarlin/McFarland married Isabel Martin in the above church in 1790.

I’m looking for place of birth or parents names; anything that would give me a lead to the next generation back.

Thanks

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage records for 2nd Boardmills
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 07 03:46 BST (UK) »
Afraid I don't know what the 2nd Boardmills church is, but I have a copy of an entry from a marriage in 1790 in a Parish Church in Surrey which reads:

<Names> of th<is> Parish ..... were Married in this <church> by<banns>this <date> Day of <month>in the Year One Thousand <number>Hundred and <number>By me <name of person who performed ceremony>
This Marriage was solemnized between Us <two lines for signatures> in the Presence of <two lines for witnesses signatures>

It's a standard looking printed page with space to fill in the details.

Irish records may be completely different - I don't know ...

Offline swindley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 07 03:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ruskie, that would give me something to start with

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 07 10:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but I reckon your church didn’t exist in 1790.
From Ros Davies freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/PLACENAMES/BanBy.htm#Bo
Boardmills {civil parish of} Killaney 20: 35/60 small village in Carrickmaddyroe townland ; half way between Saintfield & Lisburn; click here to see its location on a map; there was a Reading Scoiety here in 1830; school: 2 Presbyterian churches here; Temperance fete 17 Jul 1886 V12 p101 OSM; SHM ;86 p 45; DR; GIPR

Ros says under her Churches section
2nd Presbyterian Church, Boardmills at the western end of the street. The congregation separated from First Boardmills Presbyterian in 1809 
Records available are baptisms 1836- 1866, try www.familysearch.org Batch #C700091; graveyard attached, gravestone inscriptions UHF Vol 2; The oldest stone in the graveyard dates from 1821 ; email me for a gravestone look-up or pay per view gravestone inscriptons on www.irishgenealogy.ie
Surely you need First Boardmills Presbyterian records about which she says
Baptisms 1782- 1889, marriages 1782- 1844 & 1851-1870, try www.familysearch.org Batch # C700011; graveyard nearby, gravestone inscriptions UHF Vol 2;oldest date of death on a headstone is 1778; email me for a gravestone look-up or pay per view gravestone inscriptons on www.irishgenealogy.ie

Switching to Ros surname listings, she doesn’t have McFarl…. In Killaney parish and she has one martin mention.
Miss Mary MARTIN . Killaney wife of William Kidd ; mother of Sarah b. 3 Jan 1854 & twins, Agnes & David b. 19 Oct 1855 & Thomas Hall Kidd b. 11 Nov 1857 & Elenor b. 22 Aug 1860 (all bapt. Boardmills Presbyterian Church)  PR 

I had a look at PRONI leaseholders and Griffiths valuation heads of households about1860 but didnt see either surname in the parish. Familysearch seems the most promising source, but i reckon you have been there. Good luck onwards, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline swindley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 07 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that info.
I have a piece of data where the marriage is said to be at the 2nd Boardmills in 1790, but obviously that info is incorrect.
Another piece of data gives the marriage in the parish of Boardmills and the comune of Saintfield
Maybe it should read the 2nd Saintfield. The couple had at least two children baptised here: Robert 07/12/1792 and Isabel 7/9/1795. The location for the births reads... Birth:  Presbyterian, Boardmills, Down, Ireland. On Robert's cemetery record it states: Place of birth - Saintfield
What I'm after is finding a clue to James' place of birth or parents names.
Do you have access to Sainfield records?
If so would you mind to look up the marriage there for me?
Thanks again for this.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 07 13:14 BST (UK) »
Afraid I don't know what the 2nd Boardmills church is, but I have a copy of an entry from a marriage in 1790 in a Parish Church in Surrey which reads:

<Names> of th<is> Parish ..... were Married in this <church> by<banns>this <date> Day of <month>in the Year One Thousand <number>Hundred and <number>By me <name of person who performed ceremony>
This Marriage was solemnized between Us <two lines for signatures> in the Presence of <two lines for witnesses signatures>

It's a standard looking printed page with space to fill in the details.

Irish records may be completely different - I don't know ...

Irish Presbyterian marriages are usually very different from English example above. Almost always (until start of civil registration in 1845) it was date, name of groom, name of bride, and names of two witnesses. Even after 1845 the mother's name was not shown on the marriage certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 07 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hiya guys,

I've a problem here. The NI Libraries Catalogue shows that there's a book by A. McClelland titled "A Short History of Second Boardmills Presbyterian Church", which was published by Howard Publishers in 1963, on the shelves in the SELB. It should be on the shelves in the SEELB which is in Ballynahinch. I'll call in the branch Library after two o'clock and look into this matter.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 August 07 14:13 BST (UK) »
According to A History of Congregations in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland 1610-1982 says 2nd Boardmills asked for 'supply of sermons' in 1811 but the 1st minister was ordained in 1816.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 August 07 15:58 BST (UK) »
Saintfield churches all listed with known records on Ros Davies website a sample. In 1792, the minister of 1st Presbyterian Saintfield, Rev. Thomas Leslie Birch, formed the first Society of United Irishmen in Co. Down in his manse, which he renamed Liberty Hall. Many parishioners objected to his political sermons and left to join Boardmills church & others formed the Secession Church in 1796 (now 2nd Presbyterian Church).  Good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide