Author Topic: CROCK - South Shields  (Read 4438 times)

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CROCK - South Shields
« on: Thursday 18 March 04 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm currently stuck with my research and am looking for ideas as to where to go next.

My G Grandfather Herbert CROCK was born in South Shields in 1882.  His family moved to Wales within a few years of his birth, but I had thought that they were originally from South Shields, despite his elder siblings being born in Manchester and Hull, because his parents Charles CROCK and Sarah GRAY (born Ireland) married there in 1873, according to the photo copy I have of their original marriage certificate.

It turns out the original certificate has had a little alteration!  They actually married in 1883 - after the births of all their children.  The ages on the copy certificate I have had also been altered.   This means that they may not have been in South Shields in 1873 at all - although living Grandchildren of Charles Crock (now in their 80s and 90s) all recall being told that their Grandfather was from County Durham.  I have found them on the 1881 Census, living in Waterloo Lane, and my G Grandfathers birth certificate a year of so later,  gives their residence as Derby Street, Westoe.

I haven't been able to find a birth for Charles Crock in the GRO index (he would have been born circa 1844).  According to his marriage certificate his father was called Joseph CROCK and was a Hatter.

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas what to try next.  

Thanks

Caro

BROCKWAY: Glamorgan & Wiltshire
CROCK:Glamorgan, London, Surrey & North England
DIAMOND: Glamorgan & Taunton, Somerset
DOMONEY/DOMINEY: Dorset
HARVEY: Glamorgan
LATCHEM: Radstock, Somerset
PAGE: Glamorgan & Warwickshire
PLENTY: Glamorgan & Somerset
ROBERTS: Glamorgan & Radstock,  Somerset
RODERICK: Glamorgan
SANDERCOCK: Cornwall
SHAW: Glamorgan, Somerset & Devon
THOMAS: Glamorgan
VENNER: Somerset
WEBB: Glamorgan & Tufton, Hampshire
WRIVET/WREVET[T]: Cornwall

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:CROCK - South Shields
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 04 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear Caro,

I did a seach on freeBMD and I found the following

Births Mar Qtr 1883
Crock  Herbert     S Shields  10a 696

Marriages Mar Qtr 1883
CROCK  Charles     S. Shields  10a 924

also this death which may or may not be connected

Deaths Sep Qtr1882
Crock  Sarah Ann  1  S.Shields  10a 409

Are you sure that the marriage took place in Ireland ??

If you have been unable to find Joseph Crock perhaps you may be able to locate him in the Trade Directories, if you locate him,  then you will have an address to try and find him in the census.

Hope this helps  :)

RootsChat  :) :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re:CROCK - South Shields
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 March 04 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roots Chat :-)

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I didn't make that clear above - the marriage between Charles CROCK and Sarah GRAY definately took place in South Shields in 1883 - I've recently got the marriage cert from the GRO.  I had thought it took place in 1873, as the photocopy of the orginal marriage cert I have says - but it turned out the orginal certificate had been altered - presumably to cover up the fact that they only married after the births of their children.

The grandchildren of Charles (still living) were told that their father, grandfather and great grandfather (Joseph) all came from South Shields -Herbert was certainly born in South Shields, but as I can't find a record of Charles birth -  I'm  currently stuck.

Sarah was born in Tuam, County Galway,  Ireland.  The 1881 Census states her birthplace as Ireland but does not give a birthplace for Charles (at least the index on the LDS site doesn't).

Herbert Crock who turned up in your search above was my Great Grandfather, he was born Nov 1882 (birth was registered in quarter Mar 1883).  My Grandmother (Herberts daughter) can recall a problem with his birth certificate having the wrong date and him having to get a new one - very probably his birth certificate was altered to a date after the marriage.

Sarah Ann was almost certainly their daughter who died in infancy.

There were 3 other children, Selina Crock, born Manchester 1875, married in Cardiff in 1891 and died in Cardiff abt 1935.  Charles Crock  born Manchester abt 1877, married in Cardiff in 1897 and died in Johannesburg circa 1960 apparently he was knocked down by a tram!!!!!
Also George Crock born in Hull, married and died in Cardiff.

I can't find the family in the 1891 Census either,  they were almost certainly living in Wales by then, being as Selina Crock married there that year (age 16).  They were possibly living in Chepstow, Monmouthshire during the late 1880s - but I can't track them down.  I have them in Cardiff in the 1901 Census - Charles Crock had died by then.  

Crock is an unusual name, I'm beginning to think that it was not the name that Charles Crock was born with.  

I've plenty of other lines to research, its just that his one intrigues me the most - I'd like to try and establish why they didn't marry until after their children were born - my Grandmother (82 - their Grandchild) thinks "its very amusing".

Caro

BROCKWAY: Glamorgan & Wiltshire
CROCK:Glamorgan, London, Surrey & North England
DIAMOND: Glamorgan & Taunton, Somerset
DOMONEY/DOMINEY: Dorset
HARVEY: Glamorgan
LATCHEM: Radstock, Somerset
PAGE: Glamorgan & Warwickshire
PLENTY: Glamorgan & Somerset
ROBERTS: Glamorgan & Radstock,  Somerset
RODERICK: Glamorgan
SANDERCOCK: Cornwall