Author Topic: Killed in Action. Found in 1937  (Read 10275 times)

Offline Costar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Killed in Action. Found in 1937
« on: Saturday 11 August 07 18:28 BST (UK) »
James Russell, born 1888, Glasgow. KIA 1914-18. Remains found in France or Belgium 1937 along with several others when the farmer was  ploughing a field. I do not know any other details, regiment, service number etc. It was mentioned in the Glasgow papers of the time.

I am trying to find info re the finding of his remains and final burial place. I tried the CWGC and found what could be him, date of death 1916 and the right age. Parents names were not quite right but matched his elder brother and wife and the address given was in the right area in Glasgow. (his parents had died before 1919). I contacted CWGC direct by phone  but they had no record of finding his remains.

My father mentioned it several years ago. I tried to get further information from his remaining family but they could not agree on dates etc. Sadly they have now all  passed away.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Killed in Action. Found in 1937
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 07 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Costar

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

How can we help?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Costar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 07 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots.

Thanks for the interest.
I have modified my message.

Cheers.
Costar

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 07 22:48 BST (UK) »
Ah that's clearer!

It might help if you tell us how you know (or think you know) that the remains were found in 1937?  Especially if the CWGC don;t know about it.

Do you have records of his family?

The more you can tell us, the better.

I will move this to the Armed Forces board, where the experts live!  :D

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
Any more details like parents' names, any middle name, regiment, etc. and details of possible entry on CWGC would help as there are lots of James/J Russells died WWI.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 07 23:04 BST (UK) »
From www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dccfarr/features.htm

Every year poignant reminders to the scale of the human tragedy that befell a whole generation are unearthed in the fields of France and Belgium. Approximately  twenty sets of remains are found each year in what has become known as "The Harvest of Bones".

In all such cases, the Commission works closely with the relevant embassy defence attaché and ministry of defence to identify any remains found and locate next of kin.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 07 12:48 BST (UK) »
hiya costar,the CWGC were still concentrating thousands of scattered graves into purpose built cemeteries right up till the beginning of ww2,many cemeteries were still unfinished in the 1930s,your soldiers are probably some of those waiting to be reburied,go on the great war forum and get hold of terry denham,hes involved with the CWGC,hes a very knowledgable and helpful lad,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Costar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 07 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Info from CWGC,
Private James Russell, 1st Bat Cameron Highlanders. Number S/22289, age 28. Born Denniston. Death 19/11/1916.
Commemoration Thiepval Memorial. Son of William & Mary Russell, 5 Grafton Squ, Glasgow.
This info feels right but having a hard job proving it. He was born in Calton but who knows what he put down when he enlisted.
Grafton Square is just around the corner from where his other brother stayed in McAslin street and is I believe the address in which their family doctor had his practice.

Cheers

Costar

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 07 16:00 BST (UK) »
costar,if his body was identified,then he wont be on the thiepval memorial,he will be buried in a named grave,the memorial is only for those with no known grave,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.