Author Topic: Killed in Action. Found in 1937  (Read 10272 times)

Offline Costar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Killed in Action. Found in 1937
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

After years of searching I still have not found "my" James Russell. The closest match S/22289 turned out not to be him. I found a memorial plaque on his families headstone in the Kirk O Shotts Cemetery and after researching the names on it, I found that there was onto the wrong James Russell.
Vast numbers of WW1 dead were being discovered in the aftermath of the war and some were identified and next of kin notified. I have been searching the Glasgow Evening Citizen without success but was surprised to find in the Ottawa Evening Citizen articles re the finding of graves, giving the numbers found, and identified in particular for the years 1936/37. There are many reports in various newspapers regarding these matters ,the Reading Eagle to name another. I have phoned the CWGC re this but they say they have no knowledge of these findings.
But the search goes on.
Sorry I have not kept up to-date with my findings, I seem to have difficulty in find my posts. 
Thanks to all
Costar

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have not kept up to-date with my findings, I seem to have difficulty in find my posts. 

Do you have notifications turned on for the topics you are interested in? if so, then you should get email notification of new replies (also don't forget that RC has your current email address)

If you go into your Profile page- you can select 'show' posts from the left-hand menu.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=48853
From that page you can then select 'topics' to just show those thopics which you've started.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 16:02 GMT (UK) »
You state "Parents names were not quite right but matched his elder brother and wife and the address given was in the right area in Glasgow." That implies that you know his parents. If so, what was their names?

Regards

Malky

Offline Costar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malky,

My James Russells parents were, William Russell & Margaret Coffey, both dead by 1919.
His brother William married a widow Mary Egen  (maiden name Mary Burgess Russell). Her parents were William Russell & Mary Burgess.

No wonder I get confused.

Cheers
Jim (Costar)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 11 December 14 14:37 GMT (UK) »
For general information I am aware that not all CWGC graves are in military cemetaries; one a member of my family who died in WW1 is buried under a CWGC Headstone in Willoughby cemetary Lincolnshire; so presumably he will have died of wounds received abroard whilst on active service.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 11 December 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
For general information I am aware that not all CWGC graves are in military cemetaries; one a member of my family who died in WW1 is buried under a CWGC Headstone in Willoughby cemetary Lincolnshire; so presumably he will have died of wounds received abroard whilst on active service.

Possibly, but on the other hand he might of died from illness, an accident in training, been victim of a crime or been hit by a bus. In fact anything that might result in death. His death certifcate may reveal all.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 December 14 15:25 GMT (UK) »

Possibly, but on the other hand he might of died from illness, an accident in training, been victim of a crime or been hit by a bus. In fact anything that might result in death. His death certifcate may reveal all.

Imber
If many of the latter, then how would he qualify for CWGC headstone?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 12 December 14 15:45 GMT (UK) »
The only qualification for a CWGC headstone is that you died while enlisted. You may have been shot at dawn or died from venereal disease but it made no difference.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 12 December 14 15:54 GMT (UK) »
The only qualification for a CWGC headstone is that you died while enlisted. You may have been shot at dawn or died from venereal disease but it made no difference.

Imber
Thanks, that explains a lot. I can't see many of those shot at dawn whose relatives would have requested a headstone. How would it have been inscribed I wonder?