Author Topic: Stewart/Morrison/Irwin , Derryork/Gortgarn  (Read 11119 times)

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart/Morrison/Irwin , Derryork/Gortgarn
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 July 16 06:34 BST (UK) »

Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry

Hi Kinkerswell -  I have noticed in the names you put forward as researching there are 2 that I am familiar with.  These are Irwin and Murrell.

These 2 surnames have appeared as 2nd middle names in my Dickey family who originated in Co Derry / Scotland.  My great/great grandfather left Derry for the US in 1811.    A descendant of his went to NZ c. 1860s/70’s.  Another descendant married an Irwin in NZ.  Do you have any Derry Dickey connections in your research material as yet?  Look forward to your reply.  Thanks and regards – Dinny.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 19:42 BST (UK) »
Dinny, sorry for the delay but I have been over in France for the weekend. However I can find no connection to the Dickey name in my tree and I have done a few look-ups and cannot connect it.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline RichardinMichigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 December 21 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering how these fit into your family tree-- I have an autosomal genetic link to a descendant of this Samuel Irwin -- made interesting because there is a Sarah Coughran listed in the 1831 census in the townland of Leeke, Bovevagh parish, living next to Oliver Pollock (1762- 3 Dec 1839, buried in Largy Presbyterian Church cemetery) who appears to be part of the Pollock family that sponsored my great great great grandmother Cochrane's transit to America in 1851. 

Is John Oliver Irwin, son of John Irwin, Sr. related to the following Samuel???
Samuel's sister, Martha Irwin (May 1829-16 Nov 1901 - died in Philadelphia) was married to Joseph Irwin, son of James Irwin at Scrigan Presbyterian Church on 7 Sep 1852; marriage record shows both Joseph and Martha claimed Derryork as their residence in 1852.

from Biographical Annals of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Beers, 1903, pp. 1262-3:

SAMUEL IRWIN, a well-known and highly respected citizen of Christiana, is a self-made man, one who by his own efforts has won his way to a position of responsibility, with the great Pennsylvania railroad system.

Samuel Irwin was born in County Derry, Ireland, Nov. 9, 1833, son of John and Martha (Fleming) Irwin, farming people of County Derry, where their whole lives were passed, the father dying in 1867, in his ninety-third year. The mother passed away before her son left home, in 1848, at the age of sixty years. Of his grandparents Samuel Irwin only recalls that his paternal grandfather fell a victim of smallpox. The children born to John Irwin and wife were: William, James and John, who died in Ireland; Nancy J., who (first) married Thomas Culverson, and (second) William Hutton, and died in Philadelphia; Mary (deceased), who married Alexander Hutton: Martha, who married Joseph Irwin (no relation), and Samuel.

Samuel Irwin came from his native country to America in 1852, and located in Philadelphia, where he followed weaving for five years. He had also been a farmer in Ireland. Desiring to resume his old occupation, he removed to Lancaster county and remained for eitht years, on a farm in Sadsbury township, leaving there to enter the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, his first work being on the track. This necessitated a removal to Christiana. Soon his business ability was recognized, and he was made foreman of a track crew on the Christiana division, remaining for twenty-five years in that position, attentive to every detail of the work, and esteemed by his employers. His work included attention to signals, and so reliable was Mr. Irwin that when a serious illness attacked him he was sadly missed. Since 1895 he has had charge of the electric signals, a position of great responsibility.

Samuel Irwin was married, Feb. 4, 1854, in Philadelphia, to Matilda Seaton, and children as follows were born to this union: Martha J., who married Gus. Skillman, lives in Philadelphia, and has two children; Rachel, at home; John H., who is track foreman on the Pennsylvania railroad at Pomeroy, married Isabella Knox, and has ten children; Margaret, who married Isaac Williams, lives in Philadelphia; Samuel J. B., who married Sadie Carlin, is the shipping clerk of the Brayburn steel works; William S., who is foreman on the N. H. & H. Railroad, at West Dale, Mass., married Jean Bowland, and they have three children; Charles F., who married Amy Skillman, is a railroad foreman on the Pennsylvania line, and they have three children.

Mrs. Irwin was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, and passed away at her home Feb. 18, 1900, at the age of sixty-five years. She was buried in Atglen, Pa. She came to America when she was eighteen years old, and was a daughter of John and Matilda (McKay) Seaton, both of whom spent their days in Ireland.

The honorable positions to which Mr. Irwin has attained, and the esteem in which he is held, may be explained in one way, when it is stated that neither he nor his sons use either tobacco or drink. Their lives are hard-working and law-abiding, and all have become excellent types of American citizenship, and represent the class from which this great country has drawn her noblest and most exalted citizens.

----------------------------
Thank you! 

Richard Cochran
Big Rapids, Michigan