Author Topic: New Desktop - recommendations please  (Read 6692 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Desktop - recommendations please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 August 07 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that advice, Paul  :)

I'll print it out and digest. I have converted from ME to XP before now so I don't have any worries on that front. However, Dell does give the option of XP rather than Vista.

SPSS first became available for Desktops circa 1990. i use it on here no bother and this is an 80GB HD and 512 Ram.

Thanks again

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 August 07 11:47 BST (UK) »
I would endorse much of what paul has said although I disagree concerning Graphics cards.

High Quality image manipulation benefits immensely from a powerful graphics card although the 3d manipulation available in the latest top of the range "cutting edge" (ie wallet/purse  draining) is not really needed.

As regards a supplier if you visit any consumer section of computer forums you will see horror stories about many if not all computer suppliers and it really boils down to personal preference. Sometimes local and approachable is better.
~M~

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 August 07 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Myrrdin

I always trust your judgement  :)

However, my experience of  'local' purchases by friends  is that they seem to go wrong far more than my Dells.

So a top of the range graphics card would be my best bet?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 August 07 17:42 BST (UK) »
The specs you have drawn up are more than adequate for the purposes you have described the only thing I would add is another hard drive and have them set up in a Raid array ..... a mirroring setup will  slow their operation but reduces the likeliehood of data loss through hard drive failure. Your external drives are then an additional safeguard.
I always trust your judgement 

Confusing me with someone else again  :)

However, my experience of  'local' purchases by friends  is that they seem to go wrong far more than my Dells.

Given the quantity of machines produced by Dell the percentage that goes wrong is extremely small but there are customers out there who swear at their Dell machines rather than swear by them. However you can always find vociferous unhappy customers of any manufacturer whether a multi national company or the corner shop.... My own bugbear was Compaq - I liked the machines but found the company diabolical to deal with when a fault arose.

So a top of the range graphics card would be my best bet?

Not a top of the range card but one just a step down from them would be fine for your purposes and one with plenty of onboard memory of its own.
~M~

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 August 07 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks again  :)

What is a Raid array, please  ???

OK - I'll Google it  ;D

Gadget

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 August 07 19:19 BST (UK) »
RAID (redundant array of independent disks; originally redundant array of inexpensive disks) is a way of storing the same data in different places (thus, redundantly) on multiple hard disks. By placing data on multiple disks, I/O (input/output) operations can overlap in a balanced way, improving performance. Since multiple disks increases the mean time between failures (MTBF), storing data redundantly also increases fault tolerance.

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci214332,00.html
~M~

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 August 07 19:29 BST (UK) »
What can I say    :o

Thanks - does that mean that the data is stored randomly over various HDs or that it is duplicated?

Gadget

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 August 07 19:43 BST (UK) »
I have been refraining from joining this thread but must speak out against raid arrays.
A few years ago I had a computer with four identical 80Gb hard drives set up as two strip and two mirror (i.e. raid 0+1). The motherboard raid controller threw a wobbly and I lost the lot, nothing could rebuild the arrays and nothing could be recovered from the disks.

Needless to say I will not touch raid with a barge pole now.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 August 07 20:05 BST (UK) »
I'm still not sure what the advantages of RAID are/is  ???

If I have a 640GB main disk (maybe, partitioned) and an external for backups, what is the advantage of this configuration over a more 'normal' one?

Gadget