Author Topic: Court Records  (Read 3234 times)

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Court Records
« on: Sunday 12 August 07 12:24 BST (UK) »
does anyone no if you can access court records for Tranent c1808 ???
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Court Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 07 17:54 BST (UK) »
It is not yet possible to fully access old court records online partially because relatively few have survived. However the NAS catalogue can be searched online and if the records exist you can obtain the reference numbers and some of the details at

http://www.dswebhosting.info/NAS/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Site20&dsqCmd=Index.tcl
~M~

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 07 18:57 BST (UK) »
many thanks.  i'm trying to track down records for the person below.

1808, 27th Dec, convicted and ordered to be transported for seven years to Australia.
Grizel JOHNSTON apparently was residing at Port Seton, parish of Tranent, East Lothian, when she stole some washing from a house by breaking a window.
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 August 07 19:21 BST (UK) »
from NAS

Grizel Johnston, Address: Port Seton [Portseatoun], Haddington [East Lothian]. Entry relating to the crime of theft by housebreaking, habit and repute at Gladsmuir, County of Haddington [East Lothian]. Date of trial: 27 Dec 1808, Verdict: Guilty, Verdict Comments: Guilty in terms of own confession, Sentence: Transportation - 7 years

the term "habit and repute" would indicate that she had previous convictions for similar offences and was therefore considered "A known thief"
~M~

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 August 07 19:38 BST (UK) »
she certainly was :-[