Author Topic: help please  (Read 9277 times)

Offline buddysmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 July 07 20:10 BST (UK) »
I sent for marrige certificte for james walter john eves to alice anne wisdom my great grand parents how married in shoreditch in 1889 he was a corn meter? thats what it says lists his father as john   They were both single  age 26, and 25  I have james baptising his son alfred in strood kent from meway city ark . Son alfred married in strood . On census james also says he was born in strood but thats where it goes cold as i cant find him     Have nothing on him before 1891
eves/eve/ellmer/ elmer/wisdom/isted/stead/page/forster/scott/young/
holmes/chown and many many more

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 July 07 20:19 BST (UK) »

OK:

Marriage certificate: this should contain both address(es) and witnesses.

1863 birth certificate: Why  did you eliminate it as not 'yours' ?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 July 07 20:32 BST (UK) »
What information James Walter J Eves chose to give about his father on his marriage was up to him. There were no checks in the sytem to see if the information was incorrect. Illegitimate people for instance in particular fabricated father's names and occupations so there were no questions asked about their legitimacy. You therefore cannot rely on information given on marriage certificates particularly where there is no other evidence to be found to support that information.

On the 1891 census James gave his name as Walter not James, but with the same birth year and place of birth - so Walter/James was consistent with that information which he also gave again on the 1901 census.
Why do you think he might be giving incorrect information about his birthplace on these two censuses?

Did James Walter's third initial on his marriage - the letter J - stand for John?

How have you eliminated the Walter John Eves birth registration which is in the correct registration district for Strood and also registered at the correct time for your Walter's birth?

What information does this birth certificate give that makes you think it should be eliminated as a possible?

Walter John Eves seems to disappear from records after his birth, while meanwhile Walter Eves or James Walter J(ohn)? Eves appears for the first time in 1889 marrying in Shoreditch and then with his family as Walter in Frindsbury on the 1891 census.

When women marry/remarry their children from previous marriages or relationships can frequently appear on censuses in their stepfather's surname only to return to their original surname when they leave home as adults. Have you managed to rule this possibilty out for your Walter/James?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline buddysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 July 07 20:49 BST (UK) »
hi again firstly have no birth certificate at all for james   Second tbhey where both living at 33 Hyde road shoreditch   Wittnesses where Henry john Rean ? also alice robins   yes j  stands for john on marrige certifacate  I have never been able to find any birth reg in strood ??? so i dont have birth certificate thats what i need  to find parents for sure      My other grand mother had a son who was not here husbands so i now it was possible

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 July 07 21:01 BST (UK) »

I'd suggest that you DO get the 1863 birth certificate. He's a strong candidate.

in 1891 Hyde Road covered 4 ED's (18-21) in piece number 250... after marriage I know, but may be useful later.
1881 you can search by address for yourself at Ancestry

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 July 07 21:05 BST (UK) »
If you haven't got the details of Walter John Eves' birth certificate you cannot eliminate him as a possible candidate for James Walter John Eves who may have chosen as an adult to add the name James (say for his stepfather for instance if he indeed had one) or for other unknown reasons.

This is the only Eves birth registration in North Aylesford which then covered Strood (Strood registration district did not begin until 1885) and it just happens to be at exactly the right time

Births Dec 1863
EVES  Walter John    N Aylesford  2a 345

If this isn't your Walter then who is it?

Regards

Valda

Offline buddysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 22 July 07 21:14 BST (UK) »
im so gratefull for your help so the one in ayslesford would cover strood  i never know that  I will send for that keep your fingers crossed would be good if it was him

Offline buddysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 July 07 21:18 BST (UK) »
also forgot to say how do you search for adresses  on ancestry as i be long to that and have never been able to do that    again thank you both for your help  :)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 July 07 21:24 BST (UK) »
NORTH AYLESFORD REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : Kent.
Created : 1.7.1837.
Abolished : 1.1.1885 (succeeded by Strood district).

When you have the details from the birth certificate even if they don't at first look promising - post them for us so we can see whether we can find out anything else for you and either prove it is him or eliminate him.

Rean by the way is not a surname, so whoever Henry John was his surname can't be Rean.

Regards

Valda