Author Topic: Missing children  (Read 21686 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Missing children
« on: Sunday 12 August 07 15:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for children of Samuel Collins (c1835-1910). 1st wife (m.1868) Mary Jane Gilmore (c1841-1887) & 2nd wife (m.1888) Matilda Pollock (c1852-1906). Lived at Sistrakeel & Derryork (by 1903). Think there were 14 children from the two marriages: James (1869), John Gilmour (1869-75), John Gilmour (1871), Mary Ann (1872), Samuel (1873), Sarah (874), Margret (1878), Agnes Rachcel (1879), Alice (1881), David Pollock (1889) & John, Charlotte Matilda (d.y.), Matilda Charlotte?, Hannah.

On Irishgenealogy found some possible matches:
John Gilmour Collins born 1876
Charlotte M. Collins born 1888
Matilda C. Collins born 1893
Hannah Eliza Collins born 1894

Would like to know if these are Samuel's children. If anyone if able to look them up I would really appreciate help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing children
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 07 18:50 BST (UK) »
found these, you might already have them.

JAMES COLLINS 1-4-1869. JOHN GILMOUR COLLINS 20-1-1871. SAMUEL 30-6-1873.

parents.SAMUEL COLLINS & MARY JANE  GILMOUR.  (GILMOUR  ON JOHN & SAMUELS) (GILMORE ON JAMES)

all born. ballykelly, newtown limavady, tamlaght, finlagan,co. derry. found no births from other marriage.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 07 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking Mary. Was hoping to find the 4 children I don't have details on yet.
Strangely enough James Collins born 1st April 1869 had a twin brother John Gilmour Collins who died 1875 but he didn't turn up in your search. Think the next John Gilmour Collins (born 1871) must have also died young as another son "Jack" was then named John- possibly John Gilmour Collins b.1876 on irishgenealogy site.
Had two different birthdates for Samuel Collins- 27 June and 30 June but 30th June is probably correct.
Thanks again

Offline NA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 February 09 20:04 GMT (UK) »
have found Matilda Collins in 1911 census, living in Dublin with her (half) brother, John G Collins.
agnew,collins,hughes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 February 09 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that and welcome to Rootschat.
I did find them in 1911 Dublin census recently and was a bit surprised that John was manager of a grocery firm instead if a surgeon which was what a relative thought!

Offline NA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 February 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Matilda was my grandmother she moved to Belfast and married my grandfather . . Her brother David Pollock and sister Hannah went to USA at about the same time
agnew,collins,hughes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 February 09 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Am thrilled to see that you are related to Matilda Collins. There was such a large family and I only have details on some.
My father-in-law remembered David visiting before he went away (he thought Canada and another connection thought David was a policeman in Toronto but they also thought Johnwas a surgeon!). David took only known photograph of father-in-law with parents and siblings in front of their house but it got lost sometime before 1950 (probably c1936).
Can't send you my email address to exchange details, if you are interested, until you've at least 3 posts.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 February 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Did a bit more digging today and found that David Pollock Collins was a policeman in Toronto- went to Canada 1913 with sisters Agnes and Hannah and David married there in 1925. He must have made a visit back to Ireland in 1920 and this might have been when a photograph was taken.
I do have an old photo of the house at Derryork and some of the Collins/Morrow families.
I'm related to Samuel Collins' first wife but will explain all that by email if you get in touch.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 March 09 23:39 GMT (UK) »
NA- have been hoping you'll soon make another post here so I can email you some family details. Best wishes, aghadowey