Author Topic: 1851 Census Aberdeen - Urquhart  (Read 6308 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1851 Census Aberdeen - Urquhart
« on: Wednesday 15 December 04 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone look up the 1851 census for Hector Urquhart in Aberdeen please?

Hector was christened at Urquhart & Logie on 13th September, 1814. He married Margaret Campbell Graham at Bon Accord Church, Aberdeen on 25th May 1842. Their first daughter was christened Margaret Collie Urquhart on 6th April, 1843, and their second daughter Susan (or Susannah) was christened on 7th March 1845. The third daughter Christiana (or Christina) I cannot find a christening record for, but on a later census her birth place is also given as Aberdeen. Their four child was Hector Urquhart and he died aged 4 in Corstophine Town, South Shields, County Durham, on 13th December, 1855, but I cannot trace a birth for him in either Aberdeen or South Shields. Therefore if anyone could find an entry on the 1851 Aberdeen census it might give a clue to where he was born and when the family moved from Scotland to England.

Hector (the father) was recorded as a baker on the christening records and later census returns, and his mother-in-law had possibly inherited a bakery business from her first husband William Davison. Her maiden name was Elizabeth Simpson, and the name of her second husband was George Graham. It would be great if the bakery business could also be found on the census.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline diva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Aberdeen - Urquhart
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 05 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this is too farfetched, but my Great Great Grandmother's name was Jessie Graham, b. abt 1836 in Abd.  She married Robert Jamie, and one of their children, Lewis Graham Jamie (b.1871), my gr grandfather, grew up to be a master baker in Abd.  with his portrait hung in whatever building was the merchant's building.
Do you suppose there might be a relationship between your Graham and mine?

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 05 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply, and I am very sorry about the late response. Your information about the Aberdeen Bakery interests me a great deal even if my ancestors only kneaded [needed] the dough - probably in both meanings of the phrase! The information I have about my Graham's is very small but here goes.

25th January, 1820. George Graham & Elizabeth Simpson. By the Rev. Mr Robert Dorg one of the Ministers of Aberdeen were lawfully married in the said Ministers House after due Proclamations of Banns, George Graham, Plumber in Aberdeen & Elizabeth Simpson there widow of William Davison late Baker in Aberdeen. Witnesses Geo Middleton, Baker & Alex Goodbrand, Wright both in Aberdeen.

I have traced three children, but there could be more!
Margaret Campbell Graham - christened 8.2.1822
James Graham - christened 25.10.1825
Elizabeth Graham - christened 11.10.1827

On the 1841 census they lived at Catherine Street, Aberdeen, and Elizabeth is called Betty, while daughter Elizabeth is called Elisa, and Margaret is missing from home but George is still a plumber! They do make it easy for us family searchers - but that is all part of the challenge!

Margaret C. Graham married Hector Urquhart on 25th May 1842 - Hector Urquhart, Baker, Wellington Place, and Margaret Graham, Holburn Street, both in this parish, signified their purpose of marriage, by Mr. Henry Ogg, Elder, and being thrice proclaimed they were married on 25th May, 1842 by the Rev. Gavin Parker, Minister of Bon Accord.

This puzzles me because Bon Accord Church is said to have been founded in 1843, but this marriage is a year earlier!!!!!!!!

Wellington Place is the same address for Hector as a year earlier on the 1841 census, and also living at that address were
Jas Stormont -Baker
Jas Morrison - Baker
Alexr. Gray - Baker

They were all born outside census county. It must have been quite a sizable bakery to employ so many. Any information about the family or bakery would be greatly appreciated as it all helps to put the pieces into the jigsaw.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Good Luck to all with the family searching
Patsy

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)

Offline diva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 05 17:07 BST (UK) »
Patsy - I just now found your reply, so am also late in getting back to you.
It's going to take me a while to absorb and process your information...it seems possible there's a connection somewhere along the line, but it sure isn't obvious at first glance.
I've got a George Graham, Gr-Gr-Uncle, born in 1841 in Abd, but I haven't been able to trace him back further than his father Daniel (sometimes listed as Donald) and mother, Johanna Fraser.  I suppose it's possible there's a George somewhere before Daniel, but I sure haven't found him yet.
I'll keep after this line, and let you  know if I come up with anything.
Bonnie

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 06 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Thought I would just let you know I have now found Hector Urquhart on the 1851 census, but his name was recorded as Heckt Urquhart. He was living in Ruthrieston, Old Machar, aged 31 and his wife is recorded by her maiden name of Margaret Graham. Their children were Margaret aged 8, Susan aged 6, Isabella aged 4, and Christian aged 2. I think their first son named Hector was still a large bump at the time of the census!

It looks like they were living next door to a place called Kenfield Cottage, and their entry number was 74 on page 18. Anyone got any ideas where that might have been? Sorry I don't have any more reference numbers than those I have given, because I printed out the image expecting all reference numbers to be included and they are not!

Thanks to all those who have tried to search on my behalf.
Best Wishes,
Patsy