Author Topic: ANSELL - Deaths - Abt. 1850  (Read 9617 times)

Offline swa

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • My Mum: Heather Frances LAWLER
    • View Profile
ANSELL - Deaths - Abt. 1850
« on: Wednesday 15 August 07 10:14 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information regarding the deaths of a mother and son abt. 1850 in Derbyshire.

Louisa ANSELL (m.s. SAMPFORD) died abt. 1850 along with her son William ANSELL, possibly in child birth or soon after???

Louisa was married to Samuel ANSELL in 1845 in Ware, Hertfordshire, England.

They had two sons:
John Francis ANSELL born 1847 in Derby, Derbyshire; and
William ANSELL born 1849 in Derby, Derbyshire.

It seems clear from census records that William did not live to be included in the 1851 census and Louisa had also died by this time, leaving Samuel ANSELL a widower...

Any help would be great!

Best Wishes,
Sarah WALKER (m.s. HALL)
Australia

AIRDRIE, ANDERSON, ANSELL, BAUCHOP, BOORN, BOYLE, BURNET, DALE, DONALDSON, DOWNS, GILLESPIE, GRAHAM, GRAY, HADDOW, HALL, HAYES, HAYNES, HOUDALAKIS, JEFFREY, KIZER, LAWLER, MANTACH, MCALEAR, MCCABE, MCDONALD, MCNAY, MEIKLE, MILLAR, MILNE, MYCOCK, O’DONNELL, PREMO, QUINN,  RAINEY, RILEY, ROBB, RUSSELL, SIMS, SMELLIE, STEVENSON, SUNDERLAND, WALKER, WISEMAN and YOUNG

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Re: ANSELL - Deaths - Abt. 1850
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 07 15:14 BST (UK) »
Dear Sarah
The only death I can find for Louisa that seems to fit is the one in 1850 at Wandsworth & Co. I notice Samuel is mis transcribed Andell on the 1851 - bit he is living by himself as far as I can see in Derby.  Did you find John Frederick Ansell b. about 1847 on the 1851 census - was he living elsewhere ?
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline swa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 September 07 00:02 BST (UK) »
Quote: "The only death I can find for Louisa that seems to fit is the one in 1850 at Wandsworth & Co."

Sorry, I don't quite know what you mean by this...

Could you please tell me about Wandsworth & Co.?

Where did you find this death information and how was it listed?  Was Louisa listed as 'Louisa ANSELL'?

Thanks so much for your help.

Best Wishes,
Sarah WALKER (m.s. HALL)
Australia

AIRDRIE, ANDERSON, ANSELL, BAUCHOP, BOORN, BOYLE, BURNET, DALE, DONALDSON, DOWNS, GILLESPIE, GRAHAM, GRAY, HADDOW, HALL, HAYES, HAYNES, HOUDALAKIS, JEFFREY, KIZER, LAWLER, MANTACH, MCALEAR, MCCABE, MCDONALD, MCNAY, MEIKLE, MILLAR, MILNE, MYCOCK, O’DONNELL, PREMO, QUINN,  RAINEY, RILEY, ROBB, RUSSELL, SIMS, SMELLIE, STEVENSON, SUNDERLAND, WALKER, WISEMAN and YOUNG

Offline swa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 September 07 00:08 BST (UK) »
Quote: "Did you find John Frederick (Francis) ANSELL born 1847 on the 1851 census - was he living elsewhere?"

1851 Census:
Address: Musley Lane, Ware, Hertfordshire, England.
John ANSELL; Nephew; Age: 4; Born: Derby, Derbyshire, England.
In 1851 John Francis ANSELL was residing with:
(Grandmother) Mary SAMPFORD; Widow; Age: 68; Born: Widdington, Essex, England.
(Aunt) Hannah GREEN; Age: 23; Wife; Born: Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England.
(Uncle) Thomas GREEN; Age: 23; Head; Occupation: Malt Maker; Born: Shoreditch, Middlesex, England. 
(Hannah SAMPFORD married Thomas GREEN in 1849 in Ware, Hertfordshire, England.)

The mystery still remains as to what happened to Samuel and Louisa's son, William ANSELL...  He was born in 1849 in Derby, but cannot be found on the 1851 census.

Best Wishes,
Sarah WALKER (m.s. HALL)
Australia

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 September 07 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
The GRO index for BMDs is online at various paying sites so you can search the entire thing to look for deaths.  Wandsworth is a district of London - a bit far from Derbyshire!
There is also FreeBMD - a rapidly growing index which is free to search - it is also free on ancestry.co.uk   However it is not yet full coverage.
You might find it worth your while to take a free trial on ancestry when they next offer one.   It is often shown at the top of rootschat.  You could then see if it would be worth joining.  An annual sub is less than the cost of a weekly Sunday paper - well worth it in my view.  I use it a lot for census and BMD searching.  (the .co.uk one is better than .com) The transcriptions can be a bit wayward but with practice you realise that you can search on first name and date and place of birth etc and that often brings up obvious mistranscriptions.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 September 07 10:01 BST (UK) »
I see that Samuel married again in 1854 to Agnes Wilkinson and has a later son called William so that does make it likely that the first one died.  John is with them in 1861 age 14.
Andrea

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 September 07 10:11 BST (UK) »
If you search freebmd for 'William -' who died in Derby between 1849 and 1851 you will see that Mar 1850 has no-one starting with the letters A-F. All other quarters have several entries so it suggests that there are some missing. Louisa and William may well be in that quarter.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 September 07 11:02 BST (UK) »
They do not seem to be there in the full index though - I have searched 1849 -51 - not under Ansell anyway.  I wonder how else it could be written?  Found the birth for William in Jan-Mar 1849.   I wonder if it might be worth contacting the local register office in Derby and asking them to look for the deaths.  There is always a remote possibility that they were not sent to the main GRO office.
Andrea

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 September 07 12:29 BST (UK) »
Dear Sarah
I believe that the death I found for a Louisa in 1850 may well be the one you are looking for.  I found a site where you can measure the distance between two places - Wandsworth is only about 25 miles from Ware.  As the child John Ansell was with relatives in Ware in 1851 it is possible that his mother had also returned to her home area perhaps because of ill health of confinement and died there.

This is the site for measuring distances :-
http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/php/towntest.html

I believe that the FreeBMD is largely complete now for this time period.
However I do subscribe to ancestry and genealogy.com and I did check for deaths page by page quarter by quarter for Ansell from 1847 to 1851 and found only one Louisa. Unfortunately age at death is not given in this time period so there are no age clues to go on.  I found several deaths for William Ansells but without ages at death its impossible to tell which may be which but I will check again.
Whilst googling I also found the following site for herts genealogy which may be of interest -
http://hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/home.htm

mog
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES