Author Topic: Death in Spain  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Death in Spain
« on: Wednesday 15 August 07 11:41 BST (UK) »
My G-Grandmother (UK citizen) left England for Spain in 1912 to stay with my Grandfather (who was working in Ferrol, Galicia) and his family.

As far as I am aware she did not return with them when they came back in 1926, and as she would have been between 47 and 61 in that 14 year spell it is quite possible that she died out there.

Is there some way I can check on this, or find any more information?
ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon
DUNBARTONSHIRE: Smith, Russell, Donald, Meiklem
GLASGOW: Guthrie
RENFREWSHIRE: Gilmour, Pollok, Urie
IRELAND: McIlhenny, McIlhaney
LANCASHIRE: Swainson, Baines
YORKSHIRE: Littlewood, Bastow/Barstow/Bairstow, Nussey, Haley, Wilkinson
WILTSHIRE: Marsh, Golding/Goulding/Golden/Goulden
DEVON: Perry, Hurford
BERKSHIRE: Chandler, Langley, Surman
AUSTRALIA: Poole, Surman, Miatke, Baum
GERMANY: Miatke, Baum

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Spain
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stanza,

Click here for a map of Galicia.

Googling for Galician cemeteries and graveyards doesn't produce much information :(

Christopher

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Christopher.

Looks like I'll need to dust off my schoolboy Spanish and get out to Ferrol to interrogate the locals!
ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Have a look on the overseas death indexes (you should be able to access them for free on www.familyrelatives.com ). There are several different indexes, (i.e. consular death indexes, also deaths at sea perhaps?)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Jorose

Thanks for drawing my attention to that site.

Unfortunately I didn't find my G-Grandmother as I had hoped, either in the marriages or deaths, but I did find a few other relatives so it was definitely worthwhile.

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 07:48 GMT (UK) »
If she left a will it would be registered in the Principal Probate Registry, regardless of where she died.

It is also worth trying the Miscellaneous Overseas collection of BMD held by The National Archives, quite separate from the GRO indexes on Familyrelatives and Findmypast, although there is some overlap. Unfortunately these are only available on film (but will be online eventually). They are in RG32-36, indexed in RG43

Mean_genie

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 May 14 21:03 BST (UK) »
This is a very old thread and I'm not sure the user who started it is still searching, but here's a bit of information which might come in handy.

Ferrol is a city in the province of La Coruña, in the region of Galicia. For many years it has been an important naval base and therefore has strong links with the military. Any foreigner who went there to work would very probably gone to work in the ship-building business or else had a connection with the army/navy.

Civil registration begun in 1871, which means any death, birth or marriage should have been recorded. Civil registration districts correspond to municipalities, which means that the city of Ferrol only covers the district within its municipal boundaries. A village in the outskirts belonging to another municipality would therefore not be covered by Ferrol's civil registry. Ordering certificates is easy (if you speak Spanish), available online and free (for now), but it is advisable to give an estimate year of death when ordering a death certificate. As I understand this is not possible in this case, because the span is quite wide, I would drop the registry a letter (in Spanish, as not many people speak good English) and give them as many details about the person as possible. Make sure to mention the person's maiden name and married name (if any), as women do not adopt their husband's name upon marriage in Spain. Give the parents' names too, and explain the motive for your query - genealogy is not something registrars often deal with and may be suspicious of your request.

If you need further information let me know!
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 May 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi cimbrio

According to his profile, Stanza hasn't been online here since late 2013, but as long as his email address hasn't changed he should recieve notifications that we have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 May 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hope so too - or hope the user has found that info already and our input is no longer needed :)
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)