Author Topic: Straw Hat and Bonnet Manufacturers - Bute st  (Read 4066 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Straw Hat and Bonnet Manufacturers - Bute st
« on: Thursday 16 August 07 15:09 BST (UK) »
1a Bute street in luton was where my Grand uncle greatorex had this business with a partner.The Partnership was dissolved in 1901.From when William carired on the running it.Does anyone know if there are any photo's of this establishment anywhere. I have a good amount of information on William plus photo's of various kinds.So would like to add another one ;)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
Re: Straw Hat and Bonnet Manufacturers - Bute st
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 07 21:22 BST (UK) »
Celia

Bute Street must have changed a lot but there is still a hat factory in Bute Street - newer than 1901 I would think [1950s]?

But Luton?  Hat factories everywhere!

Greatorex is a real ''hatters'' name -  they were certainly listed at 1a Bute Street in 1914 and earlier than that [search: ''historical directories''].  I think the old Bus Station is where the factory was?  It is being redeveloped now.

Please contact the Luton History Society c/o Luton Library as they would love to see your pics and may have some of their own? 

A lot of Luton pics etc were lost in the riots, I think, following WW1 when the Town Hall was burnt down by returning veterans from the hostilities. 

All the best

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 07 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy
William married into the Curruthers Family a well known family In Luton.I have all the info from the directories plus orbits of both William Helen and later their son all 3 included photo's. They were sent to me by a rootschat member That branch has now died.I also have a a book compleat with photo's, very kindly copied page by page.By a member of the Luton golf club of which William was one of the founder members.I have photos of the whole family  at various ages some sent by cousin Cathy.So i have been very lucky  with that side of my family I thought maybe a photo of the factory would be nice next to information in my Album.I just wish i knew what happend to the other male sibling and were they are buried,who they married. So far out of pages and pages of Greatorex i only know of 2 burial places.I don't know when they all died.The above family were all cremated.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 07 14:08 BST (UK) »
Celia

Keep your eye on the Bedfordshire Archives online search site as it is growing fast [search: ''blars adlib'']  There is a photo of Major Andrew CARRUTHERS [1879] listed.

You can get the Company info from the National Archives [go to ''search the archives'' - then go to ''catalogue'']. 

For photos of the Bute Street factory it may be worth emailing :

museum.gallery@luton.gov.uk

Perhaps they have photos they could send you?

cathy

Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 September 07 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cathy i will give it a go
Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials