Author Topic: college street station  (Read 995 times)

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
college street station
« on: Thursday 16 August 07 18:42 BST (UK) »
hi

on a poor relief application my great great great granny states that her daughter's husband james campbell harris is a clerk in college street (G+SH) station.

on the 1901 census his address is 5 Holmhead terrace, Cathcart, Renfrewshire and his occupation is railway clerk.

on maps i can't find any reference to college street and i don't know what the initials in brackets mean.

anyone got any ideas?
 ???
caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: college street station
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 07 21:34 BST (UK) »
It's possible that the College Street referred to was College Street in Glasgow (just off of the High Street) where there had been a major rail station/yard until the 1960's.

Re the initials could this have been G+SW (W rather than H) which stood for Glasgow and South Western Rail Company which I believe operated in that area.

See http://www.cat-flap.demon.co.uk/glasgow2.htm#G&SW for a list of the Rail Companies and the various abbreviations
~M~