Author Topic: 1841 Census - Charles Harbourn - COMPLETED WITH V.MANY THANKS TO ECNEPS & GILLY  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Looking for Charles and Sarah Harbourn and family on 1841 census.  I know that there was an Ann born 1822 and an Emma born 1824 - looking for any additional children.  I have no information regarding Charles and Sarah. 

If anyone can help, I should be grateful.

With many thanks.

Zephyr
 :)

PS:  I have just found the birth of what could be another sister - Ruth but surname spelt Harburn (Holy Trinity, Micklegate).   Found Ann and Emma's christenings in parish records of Holy Trinity, Kings Court, York if this helps.
Census information is Crown Copyright from nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Charles Harbourn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 August 07 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

Couldn't see Charles & Sarah (yet)
The children may have left home of course by 1841.

This could be Emma:

1841 HO107/1354/10 fol.9 p.13
Coney St, St. Martin le Grand, York
Isabella Sutcliffe  75  Chemist & Druggist
Frances      "        35
Isabella      "        35
Thomas Linsley    29  Druggist J.
Emma Harbourn   20 F.S.
all born in county

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 August 07 00:36 BST (UK) »
Not sure about these two, but there aren't many other Harbourns around

1841 HO107/1250/2 fol.- p.1
Bedale Hall, Bedale, Yorkshire
in the household of Adml. Sir John Beresford Bt., 12 servants including
Hannah Harborn 26 F.S.
Ann           "        20 F.S.
both born in county

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 August 07 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Thank you again for your help.

The Emma you have found is probably mine as she didn't get married until 1847 to a Henry William Judson.

Not sure about the Ann and Hannah in Bedale.  I have found Harbourn spelt that many ways I am having difficulty locating any siblings.  I found a Ruth - but she may have died for all I know.  Will go and look for an Hannah to see if that helps.

With many thanks again, Barbara.

Best wishes.

Janet

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 07 01:18 BST (UK) »
I couldn't see a Ruth under any spelling, there's a George aged 70 if you want his details.

On freebmd there's a death for a Sarah Harbourn Jun Qu 1839 York 23/496, pity it doesn't give her age

On www.familysearch.org did you enter just Charles Harbourn and Sarah in the parents boxes.  Up comes a page with Lane (male) 1819, but couldn't find him in 1841. I thought he might be Jane if it hadn't said male, when I looked in the census there were hundreds of Lanes --- and the ones I looked at were all really Jane.

Barbara

Offline Gillywilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 August 07 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

I have found a death for a Charles Harbourn on Yorkshire BMD but no age given but at least the area is given as Walmgate, the same as Sarah's.

Yorkshire Death indexes for the years: 1857
Surname   Forename(s)       Sub-District   Registers At   Reference
HARBOURN   Charles       Walmgate       York       WAL/20/19 

I have found a Charles Harbourn on the 1851 Census & he was down as a Widower aged 80 & born at Coldwill (Caldwell?),Yorkshire & living at Palmer Lane York which is in the Walmgate District.

On the IGI his parents are given as John Harburn & Mary Tennick but the details have been submitted by a member of the LDS Church.

Hope this helps

Gill

Pickering - Newland, Cottingham (E.Yorks) poss. Durham
Wiles - Atwick, E. Yorks
Cape - Bridlington, Hull
May - Lincs & E.Yorks
Lamb, Leonard & Ingram - Holderness
Holmes - Knottingley/Gainsborough
Paterson - Southwark, London

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 August 07 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara and Gill

Thank you both for all the trouble you have gone to on my behalf.  I travelled to York yesterday to look at parish records - they have quite a few in book form, easier than scrolling through film!  Unfortunately the birth entries for Ann and Emma only gave parents names, not even the mother's maiden name, so it didn't get me very far!

I have tried searching on familysearch many ways but not the one you have suggested, Barbara.  Will give it a try to see how it works.

Thank you also Gill for your information.  Had not realised yorkshirebmd now had death details.  The Charles you have mentioned seems rather old to have had children in the 1820s but it may be that Ann and Emma were the youngest and I have lots more older ones to find - that should be good fun.  Next time I visit York will have to look at Holy Trinity, Micklegate, which is where the Ruth I found was born.  Hopefully the Rector there will have given a little more information!

Many many thanks to you both again for all your help on this one.

With very best wishes.

Janet