Author Topic: Blackpark..Dunoon.  (Read 3513 times)

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Blackpark..Dunoon.
« on: Friday 17 August 07 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone ;D
   I have just finished looking at the 1871 census for Dunoon and Kilmun,and while looking at my Martha Davidson Galbraith entry, I thought I would check out the occupations of others in the street/area.Martha 2nd Husband ,James Galbraith was a gardener.
  There are about 5 or 6  other families in the area,and all there occupations seem to be Labourers in gardens,head gardeners,employing up to 6 men ,laboures ,etc even some wives worked in the gardens.
  The other thing I noticed the all the families,on the census,the homes were named,after them....Davidsons cott,Cowans cott ,Mcdonalds cott,..thers also a couple of Lamonts thrown in for good measure ;D
  Most have as address ..Blackpark... 1  or 2 others have..Queen st..St Kents Land ,Blackpark.
  I was hoping someone may help me out in finding out more about the area ;D.. I love gardening......I hope it was a wonderful garden ;D
        Have a great day...cheers from chrissy.xxx
Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Mackiwi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Per Ardua
    • View Profile
Re: Blackpark..Dunoon.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 07 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissy,
So can't help with your inquiry, but my family were also there at the time of the 1871 census.
They also lived at Edward Street the same year when their 3 year old daughter passed away.
I think it may have been a Tenement as on the census page I have there are several different occupations as well as the Laborers and gardeners.
Remember it's just a thought, as I wasn't there. :) :)

Cheers
Mackiwi  :)
MCINTYRE, TAYLOR, DUNCAN Skipness & NTHKnapdale
CAMPBELL,MCKINNON,MCDONALD ,Isle of Coll
MCINTYRE,CAMPBELL, Isle of Bute
MCMILLAN Rutherglen, Scotland
PERRIN, STEPHENS,PAYNE,FEAKINS,PREECE,DUDSON, Endland, Australia & New Zealand
BASON, Potterspury, England
MASON Potterspury England
HENSON, Potterspury England & New Zealand
WYBROW, England, Australia & New Zealand
WHITE Sri Lanka & new Zealand
TRAILL, America & New Zealand
MACGREGOR, LOCKHART, STEPHENSON,MCKELVIE, Scotland

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 07 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone ;D
  Thanks Mac and Santi,for your responses.Im having a hard time finding links to Blackpark...I know the dunoon staduim is there now,and possibly,the cowal games were there once upon a time?
   I'll keep delving and see what I can find!
     Is Benmore gardens near there???..maybe they worked there?
  Any other Large type gardeny/Farms in the area???
   Have a good one.......cheers from Chrissy xxxx
Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.

Offline Mackiwi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Per Ardua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 07 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissy,
I checked out the map link as I had always wondered where it was my census page was a little difficult to make out some of the letters. When I got the Blackpark on MyMultimaps and zoomed out it was on the isle of Islay, all co-ordinates seem to be the same !!!sadly a good distance from Dunoon.
I have been searching the net and scanning maps trying to find some other reference to either St. Kent's or Blackpark but so far no luck.
Through my family records I have been able to narrow the time of the Census down to between 16th Feb and 24th April 1871.
Where did you get the info on the stadium and are there any other clues you may have ?

Mackiwi
Benmore Gardens 7 miles from Dunoon. Google Benmore Gardens a great map.

P S Seems there was a Garden at Black Park Dunoon, not the Benmore Gardens.
MCINTYRE, TAYLOR, DUNCAN Skipness & NTHKnapdale
CAMPBELL,MCKINNON,MCDONALD ,Isle of Coll
MCINTYRE,CAMPBELL, Isle of Bute
MCMILLAN Rutherglen, Scotland
PERRIN, STEPHENS,PAYNE,FEAKINS,PREECE,DUDSON, Endland, Australia & New Zealand
BASON, Potterspury, England
MASON Potterspury England
HENSON, Potterspury England & New Zealand
WYBROW, England, Australia & New Zealand
WHITE Sri Lanka & new Zealand
TRAILL, America & New Zealand
MACGREGOR, LOCKHART, STEPHENSON,MCKELVIE, Scotland