Author Topic: MacKenzie's of Fodderty and Ullapool  (Read 65777 times)

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MacKenzie's of Fodderty and Ullapool
« Reply #36 on: Monday 20 October 08 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,
Do you have any other info on Mary? DoB, mothers name, first husband, siblings, etc
Darryl
MacKenzie, Stewart, McKay, Baxter

Offline spindrift

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Darryl

IF I have the right person Mary Ann McKenzie was born in 1841,  all the records I can find give Fodderty as her birthplace, but I can't find a record of the birth, maybe her mother returned home for it.

The 1851 census lists: (all born Fodderty)
Alexander Mckenzie  abt 1816 Head
Ann  "                        abt 1812 Wife
Alexander "               abt 1840 Son
Mary "                       abt 1841 Daughter
Colin "                       abt 1845 Son
Donald "                    abt 1846 Son
Margaret "                abt 1848 Daughter

She first marries on 11th June 1859 to Donald Grant
She was a domestic servant and he a farm grieve both at Feregorm (or Foregorm) of Ferrintosh - I can find Ferrintosh but not the actual farm or estate.  Both the marriage certificate and the 1861 census give a birth date of 1839.  By the time of her marriage her father had remarried, so, I don't have the maiden name of her mother.

Their daughter, Isabella, was born in 1860 and I have no other information about her.  Donald died in 1863.

On 8th February 1870 she married William Rayner of Waterbeach Cambridgeshire.  They had 3 children (John 1872 - my grandfather, Elizabeth Beatrice 1877 and Mary Ann 1880).  She died 26th November 1884.

Hope this is of interest, it would be good to know if this is 'your' Alexander.
David
Rayner, Eusden and Bowman familes from Cambridgeshire, England and McKenzies from Ross & Cromarty, Scotland

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
Doesn't sound like our Alexander and not sure what to suggest otherwise. Best of luck
Darryl
MacKenzie, Stewart, McKay, Baxter

Offline kasha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

This is a long shot but I have an Alexander McKenzie living in the London area in 1844 whose father was a James McKenzie, stonemason, on his marriage cert in 1845.

I'm desperately searching around for any possible leads to Alexander's birth details as census only ever recorded 'born Scotland'. Do you have any witnesses on the marriage cert. of Elizabeth McKenzie & James Harris or perhaps an address for Elizabeth?

Thanks
Kasha

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 11 January 09 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kasha!!

So sorry to take so long to reply but I have only just seen this message!!  I have no idea why I missed it.....

BTW it is so nice to find someone who has a James Mackenzie Stoneman (or stonemason) as a father on a marriage cert, particularly one in the 1840's!!

(Oh, if I have already replied to this message I can't see any record of it..)

I can tell you that Elizabeth's address at the time of her marriage to James Harris was 11 Ross St, doesn't have town or city but the marriage was registered in Bloomsbury District, and the marriage was solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of somewhere or other (hard to read the writing) in the county of Middlesex, witnesses Mary Doddbridge and Wm Taylor.

Can you tell me a bit about Alexander? Where was he living in 1845? Have you found him in London or thereabouts in the 1841 census?

I only have a possible match for Elizabeth in the 1841 census which is frustrating.  I guess that I can probably have a look at the copy of the relevant 1841 census and see what that address is.  Can't remember right now and it's on my other (older, which I don't use much) compy.

I have not been able to find out much, if anything, about James Mackenzie (Mckenzie?)

Do you have subsequent (to 1841) english census records with Alexander and family?

So many questions!! So little answers.  Feel free to pm me or alternatively my email is

Moderator comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses.  Please use the personal message system to exchange such information.  New users might have to post a couple more times in order to activate the system.

Ciao!  Here's hoping we have a bit of luck with this darn McKenzie family.

Regards, Christine.

Offline kasha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 12 January 09 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Since I posted my message I realise that we have already been in touch, possibly via GenesReunited. So nothing much more to tell you.

But I have looked for 11 Ross Street in London, the address of Elizabeth McKenzie at the time of her marriage to James Harris in 1844. I can't find it anywhere in the 1841 census or later but there is a ROSE Street in the Bloomsbury area. Could this be it? In which case there are a couple of Harris families in the street in 1841, maybe even three. Quite a coincidence don't you think? Also at no. 11 is a John Smith, victualler, employing 2 servants, although neither are Elizabeth in 1841. Could this have been Elizabeth's employer in 1844? It might explain the couple's later occupation as Innkeepers.

Regards

kasha

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 12 January 09 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Is it possible for Chris to scan just the portion of the Marriage cert. that lists the address and parish and put it up here?  It might help to confirm the family  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 12 January 09 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Well Kasha, after having another look at Elizabeth's marriage cert it is possible that it is Rose St not Ross St (couldn't people write plain english then????? ;) ) and Rose St is probably it if it is in Bloomsbury area.  As it turns out I don't have a copy of the possible Elizabeth McKenzie in London in 1841, I think I'll either have to resubscribe to ancestry or maybe some kind person out there who has access will have a look for me :)

Gadget, I will attempt to scan a portion or even the whole cert... not sure how it'll go......

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 12 January 09 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Kasha, could you perhaps tell me the names of the Harris families living nearby at the time? 1841 that is, as I am fairly certain that James Harris' father and 2 brothers (that I know of) were still living in Hatfield Peverel at that time.

Ciao!