Author Topic: A German RootsChat?  (Read 37538 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A German RootsChat?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 20 September 07 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I've now taken the translations from replies #29, #30 and #31  and installed them on the german genealogy forum: 

Ahnenforschung.org at http://forum.genealogy.net/forum

If the home page comes up in your browser in german (1st. attatchment) then click 'Sprache ändern' to change to english (2nd. attachment)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline frankowolf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 20 September 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, english spoken friends,

what do you think abauot a "Standard Schema" for for questions in english about your ancestors from Germany in <http://forum.genealogy.net/forum> ?
for exemble:
Name of searched ancestor:
Day of birth:
Place of birth:

and so one.
This is very easy to fill out in english, but all readers of forum genealogy.net in Germany can understand  Without problems the german names and places.
And additional is Berlin-Bobs Translation of the german genealogical terms indeed  a great help!
 Is this a practical way, dear "Silberfischchen" and dear Bob?

frankowolf  (or "Wolfgang Prietsch") from Berlin, chatting in "Emigrants to Australia" in a very bad english!

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 21 September 07 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello 'Wolfgang' and 'Berlin Bob',

Yes, this sounds like a great idea.
Hello, english spoken friends,
what do you think abauot a "Standard Schema" for for questions in english about your ancestors from Germany in <http://forum.genealogy.net/forum> ?
for exemble:
Name of searched ancestor:
Day of birth:
Place of birth:
and so one.
This is very easy to fill out in english, but all readers of forum genealogy.net in Germany can understand  Without problems the german names and places. 
..............frankowolf  (or "Wolfgang Prietsch") ..............

Also, perhaps a section for adding some additional information, might be of assistance.
This could possibly help in giving some added confidence with the translation process.

I have been following this Topic very closely, with much interest.
What with all the work that 'Berlin Bob' has been doing with the Translations, in relation to this website ‘Ahnenforschung.org’[/color]
Hi all,
I've now taken the translations from replies #29, #30 and #31  and installed them on the german genealogy forum: 

Ahnenforschung.org at http://forum.genealogy.net/forum

If the home page comes up in your browser in german (1st. attatchment) then click 'Sprache ändern' to change to english (2nd. attachment)

Bob
Another section of the Translation process completed. "Thank you 'Berlin Bob', a job well done"!

So far, I have only had a quick look, but I will be heading back to this site very soon.

I have a folder with these transcriptions, and whenever I go to other websites in German, I also have the help of ’BabelFish’, it does help a little.

Gradually and slowly, I am beginning to feel a little more confident in tackling an area of research, that I really want and need to discover more about.

Hopefully, it will not be too far away, till I begin posting some details in this area of research.

'Wolfgang', your understanding of English is much better, than my understanding of the German language.  I have no problem in reading your Postings.

Jeanette H.
One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 21 September 07 10:07 BST (UK) »
Don't be put off by the home-page of Ahnenforschung.org.
At the moment it is a bit "grey/brown-looking" and uninviting,  :(
but the content is the main thing  :)

If you register as a member, you can choose a style in your profile. 
I use aforg_1 which looks much more friendly and inviting.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline frankowolf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 22 September 07 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hello, dear Jeanette,

do you concrete know, in which districts /towns/ municipal districts your
ECKHARDT,HUBNER and TACKI were born?
I read, they came from Frankfurt. I think, this is Frankfurt on the Main and not the other Frankfurt, my birthtown on the Oder- river.Is this correct?

Frankfurt/ Main is a Hessen-town, I research mainly in or about Silesia, Saxonia, East and West Prussia, Thuringia  and Berlin/Brandenburg.

In any of this german federal states I often search in archives, but the district Frankfurt/Main - and more the Alsace Lorrain is so faraway from my Berlin!
 So - sorry- I can not really help you in your research. But if I read the names ECKHARDT, HUBNER and TACKI- a not so frequent name! - then I write you.

Surely it is a very good way to put in your questions in

< http:// forum.genealogy.net/forum>.
Maybe  it is a heavy work to find out your ancestors in Frankfurt, because the have many churches in Frankfurt/Main , and I don`t know: Have they a central names register?

Thank you for your nice words about my simple english with many, many errors, I will try to make this better!

Hello, Silberfischchen, for my feeling the running duck is better, a "silverfish" is also nice, for friends of the nature!, but not in the kitchen or in the bathroom.

Greetings to all

Wolfgang or frankowolf

Moderator Comment:  this contribution, and the replies to it have now been split off to a new topic:
Topic: GERMANY: Tacke, Eckardt, Hubner, ... 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,265845.0.html

Offline springtime 60

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 02 November 07 15:44 GMT (UK) »
i would like to put a post on german rootschat,but as i don't speak or read german i would like some help please.
I am looking for wilhelmina becker my great grandmothers origin and birth certificate born 1864/1865
i know her father is fritz becker at this address in 1920
c/o Der Postmeister
Syke
Bremen
                  ann

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 03 November 07 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann / kpnuts,

I've put a reply on your other topic here:
Topic: GERMANY: fritz becker
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,265719.0.html

if anybody else can help, please answer on that topic, too.  Thanks  :)

Bob

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 03 November 07 10:21 GMT (UK) »
There are now several RootsChatters on Ahnenforschung.org,
and there are several Ahnenforschler on RootsChat.com

:) :)   Long live the Cooperation     :) :)      Es lebe die Zusammenarbeit   :) :)

Please start new topics for individual enquiries,
either here on the Immigrants Board or on Ahnenforschung.org at http://forum.genealogy.net/forum

Keep in mind, that the enormous masses of online information, that we are used to in english-speaking countries, just isn't available in Germany and many other european countries.

So if you don't have a lot of information, then the best way is probably to start a topic here to gather as much information as possible, and then to put a query (directly, or with our help) on Ahnenforschung.org.

Good luck,
Viel Glück,
Bob

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 04 November 07 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Berlin Bob,

I must apologize for helping cause this 'topic split', my personal message wasn't going anywhere in particular, and then it has just taken off. 
Moderator Comment:  this contribution, and the replies to it have now been split off to a new topic:
Topic: GERMANY: Tacke, Eckhardt, Hubner, ... 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,265845.0.html

However thank you Bob for coming to the rescue and helping us all get back on track.  This probably may help me get my thoughts together, as I had intended to post individual topics, as you had previously made mention of.

Thanking you again for all your time and effort.

Jeanette H.

One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI