Author Topic: Lye Waste  (Read 34850 times)

Offline coffeeaddict

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lye Waste (exact area)
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 February 08 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Lye waste is actually the flat part of THE LYE (its proper name) running from the unitarian church ( by the bottom Bell pub) towards Colley Gate. I am from Waste Bonk(bank to all the non black country people) which is by the top Bell pub. My mother remembers part of the Hart Family (1940ish) .
Main jobs of people from the  the lye waste were nail/chain makers, brickies, and the famalies did tend to be nomadic. Some records are held at Oldswinford church but Dudley archives (based at Coseley old school) hold more on microfiche.
Hope this helps.
Noke-B'ham-Worcester
Gorden/Gauden-Pedmore-the Lye
Crickard-Cumberland-Scotland
Rowlands-Tywyn-Merionshire
Brooks-Middlesex-Gloucestershire
Morris-Middlesex-Tywyn

Offline alisonj-64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lye Waste
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 23 October 08 18:17 BST (UK) »
hi
 i am currently wading through family history. I have loads of westwoods from lye and also taylors,skelding,brettell,charnock
Alison
lye.wollescote. westwood,brettell,charnock,pearson,skelding,taylor

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 23 October 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
I have sent Kerry a PM about my Perry family from Lye Waste.  Descent is from William Perry born 1804/5.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Martinwootton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 December 08 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I have family who also came from lye waste.
the town lye lies on the main road between birmingham and stourbridge in the west mids.  it is now an highly asian populated town, and the high street is mainly indian restraunts.  i have read a bit about the origin and it was first populated by gypies and refugees in the 1600's.

kerry
I have a (Rose) Hannah Southall born Lye Waste in the 1830s. Can you say more about the 'refugee/gypsey' topic. Is there a Jewish connection?
Gadd,Moss, Southall,Robinson,Thompson,Wootton,Liviter. Birmingham, Ireland, Cumbria, Yorkshire, Isle of Man.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 11 December 08 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Lye Waste was best known for it's mud huts and nailers, built by settlers who were said to be a community of Gypsies, who squatted on waste land in the upper part of Lye around 1650.  These people were described as rough and uncouth, they built their houses from local clay deposits.  The houses lacked planning and were built in a hotpotch fashion with no semblance of order, they all lacked any sanitation, or clean drinking water.  It is possible that these people were displaced by the civil wars between the Royalists and Parliamentarians from the Battle of Worcester in 1651.  They were a very tight community and did not tolerate any strangers, they were described as miserable, uncivilised, rude and lawless.  The males were naked, the females accomplished breeders, marriage was not high on their agenda, they lived in uncivilised squalor.  The women spent half their lives in the Nail Shops, only stopping to give birth, within a few hours they were back in the Nail Shop, many babies did not survive, in some cases the mothers and babies were buried in the same Coffin.  One local story regarding a family from Lye Waste known as the 'All Fours' were so under-nourished, they were too weak to stand, and literally did walk around on 'All Fours.'  Hope this gives you a brief insight into Lye Waste, I am also descended from one of the Lye Waste families.  linell
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline halesowenroots

• RootsChat Extra
  • Look to the past, the present and the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 December 08 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I remember reading the following on the Quinton Website:-

"The Lye Waste boasted that Coroner's inquests on infanticide were unknown in its area. There's some truth in the taunt, despite the notorious immorality of the district, but the solution was simple. Most Lye Wasters kept pigs; if there chanced to be a superfluous baby the family pig was kept on short commons for a day or so. Then the infant (somehow) fell into the sty, and in half an hour no coroner could have found, any remains to 'sit upon’".

Regards

John
Holloway in Halesowen
Roberts in Ruabon
Reynolds in Church Stretton
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 December 08 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if that explains why so far I have found no burials for any of my Perry family who wer nailers living in Lye Waste in the early 19th century.

It didn't hold them back because by 1881 one of them, William, was running a chain and nail factory employing 590 hands and living in Lye High Street.  His brothers seem to have similarly progressed but a little further afield in places like Halesowen and Hasbury.

David 
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Martinwootton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 12 December 08 17:53 GMT (UK) »
My relative was a Gadd from Cradley who married a Southall from Lye Waste. Both were from Fruiterer families and migrated to Birkenhead in the 1840s and then across the river to Liverpool where he did very well, becoming quite a big fruit importer and wholesaler. He must have kept his Black Country connection because when he died his bequests included an interest in a Tipton iron works.
Gadd,Moss, Southall,Robinson,Thompson,Wootton,Liviter. Birmingham, Ireland, Cumbria, Yorkshire, Isle of Man.

Offline brummie nick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 20 December 08 19:15 GMT (UK) »
This site will give you an idea of what living at the Lye Waste,would have been like.

www.victorianlondon.org/publications4/strange-28.htm