Author Topic: European Heraldry assistance needed  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: European Heraldry assistance needed
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 August 07 01:57 BST (UK) »

Offline time_detective

• RootsChat Extra
  • Life is the gold at the end of the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 August 07 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Many thanks for the links, unfortunately I don't speak German but the second site looks as if it could prove interesting.

Cheers
TD

Offline tree tracker

• I have turned off my notifications to new replies
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 December 08 11:33 GMT (UK) »
HI TD

I was searching google for anything that would help me trace my Rusz ancestors who came from Nassau - my GGG grandfather came across from Germany in the 1830s.

I saw your posting which seemed a close connection. I had heard the shipwreck story before from others with a common ancestor but have no heard evidence for this. If the shipwreck story is true them my ancestor would be the cousin of yours since mine was married in 1840 and not 1833 as per your note.

Have you managed to find anything more about the Rusz's ancestry and the shipwreck story?

Regards

TT

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 December 08 12:13 GMT (UK) »
There is no such thing as a Family Coat of Arms.  the Coat of Arms is for an individual who can pass it to the elder son who by the way has to apply for their own version upon inheritance.  If there are no sons in direct line, then the Coat of Arms becomes extinct.

It is not ever for everyone of a particular surname to claim.

These things that people buy at Fayres  and shopping precincts are worthless.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=250851.0;num_replies=11

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 December 08 13:41 GMT (UK) »
There is no such thing as a Family Coat of Arms.  the Coat of Arms is for an individual who can pass it to the elder son who by the way has to apply for their own version upon inheritance.  If there are no sons in direct line, then the Coat of Arms becomes extinct.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=250851.0;num_replies=11

Not entirely true it can also pass to brothers and their offspring and if none of these exist to his daughters who rank equally. If the daughter is married it will be impaled with husbands shield and quartered on any children's shields.

Younger sons continue to use the bordered shields which show their relatonship to their father.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 December 08 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I suggest you look at the Royal College of Arms site for the correct details.  The legitimate male line is the direct line via elder son  to elder son.

College of Arms

Frequently Asked Questions

Labelled illustration of a full achievement of arms

Q. Do coats of arms belong to surnames?

A. No. There is no such thing as a 'coat of arms for a surname'. Many people of the same surname will often be entitled to completely different coats of arms, and many of that surname will be entitled to no coat of arms. Coats of arms belong to individuals. For any person to have a right to a coat of arms they must either have had it granted to them or be descended in the legitimate male line from a person to whom arms were granted or confirmed in the past.

It is also illegal to use other peoples Coats of Arms this can be seen as using it to obtain a pecuniary advantage. ie. recognition for an award that does not apply to them.

This is the Scottish Law as well.

http://www.lyon-court.com/lordlyon/216.181.html

http://albanach.org/scotheraldry.html

Offline tree tracker

• I have turned off my notifications to new replies
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 December 08 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi TD,

Thanks for your reply to my message earlier.

I could not reply to your personal message because according the help facility as a new member I am not yet allowed to use this until I have made 3 postings. I only signed up today to get in touch re your posting re the Rusz's.

Mary Richardson was the wife of Jacob Wilhelm Rusz and they were ancestors. Jacob was my 3x great grandfather.

I'm not sure whether our paths have crossed before, up until now, all my contacts re ancestors have been through Genes Reunited.

I would really like to learn anything you know about the Rusz's orgins and the shipwreck story.

Regards

TT

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 December 08 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I suggest you look at the Royal College of Arms site for the correct details.  The legitimate male line is the direct line via elder son  to elder son.

I was not questioning that statement.  All I was saying was that if there are no surviving sons or their progeny then the shield could pass to brothers or daughters.  Only if these do not exist does it become extinct.  Although in fact it is unlikely to pass any further than daughters without being quartered.  The crest is normally only  passed down the male line.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk