Author Topic: Mathematical instrument apprentice  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mathematical instrument apprentice
« on: Saturday 18 August 07 19:10 BST (UK) »
In 1841 George Evans, 13, was an apprentice to James Troy, 35, mathematical instrument maker; he went on to be a 'rule maker'. I have found references to 'James Troy & Co' in 22 (Little) Charlotte Street, Blackfriars, and pictures of some of their intruments.

Presumably that sort of apprenticeship was a private affair between James Troy and George's father (another George) so no record would exist. Or were mathematical instrument makers part of a bigger Livery Company?

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematical instrument apprentice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 07 19:21 BST (UK) »
Mathematical Instrument Makers belonged to the Clock Makers Company.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 07 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll make contact.
R
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cygnet2Swann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 May 09 00:01 BST (UK) »

David
Hi David
My ancestor, Thomas Swann, 1766-1839, was described sometimes as a Quadrant Maker, sometimes as a Mathematical Instrument Maker.  At the time if his marriage, 1788 Liverpool, quadrant maker. In 1824 Math Instr. Maker of 54 Banastre St, Liverpool.
His son, William Swann was for 42 years Principal Writing Engraver to Yates and  Hess, Liverpool. He died 1853. (from Liverpool Mercury, 18 March 1853)

Does anyone have advice as to whether it would be possible to trace any more info about either of them with the facts I have?
Any help gratefully received!

Jean

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 May 09 10:17 BST (UK) »
The records of the Clockmakers Company cover the period for which you are looking and include apprentice bindings and freemen listings  Although they are a London Guild they had many members elsewhere in the UK and abroad.

Their records are held in the Guildhall Library in London and seem to be very extensive.

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline Cygnet2Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 May 09 11:15 BST (UK) »
The records of the Clockmakers Company cover the period for which you are looking and include apprentice bindings and freemen listings  Although they are a London Guild they had many members elsewhere in the UK and abroad.

Their records are held in the Guildhall Library in London and seem to be very extensive.

David
Brill!  Thanks for that.  I assume I would have to visit to get info?

Jean

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 May 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Afew of the livery companies have some information on-line but I don't think that the Clockmakers have any.   That you means you are right and a visit is probably necessary.

David

Offline sals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 09:05 BST (UK) »

David
Hi David
My ancestor, Thomas Swann, 1766-1839, was described sometimes as a Quadrant Maker, sometimes as a Mathematical Instrument Maker.  At the time if his marriage, 1788 Liverpool, quadrant maker. In 1824 Math Instr. Maker of 54 Banastre St, Liverpool.
His son, William Swann was for 42 years Principal Writing Engraver to Yates and  Hess, Liverpool. He died 1853. (from Liverpool Mercury, 18 March 1853)

Does anyone have advice as to whether it would be possible to trace any more info about either of them with the facts I have?
Any help gratefully received!

Jean

Hi Jean,

I have just come across your post regarding Thomas & William Swann...I was wandering what other information you have been able to collect on them since this post? William (the engraver) was my GGGG grandfather. His son Charles Douglas Swann married Caroline Styles...their daughter Ellen Eliza married Richard Glassey Smith and they migrated here to Australia. The only children of Thomas Swann (and Mary Hodson) that I have been able to confirm are William (1789 - 1853), John (1791 - ?), Thomas (1792 - ?), James (1794 - ?). Do you have any information on the other children? Which line do you come from??
Thanks
Sally

Offline Hallsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Glassey Smith & wife Ellen Swan
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 May 12 04:46 BST (UK) »
I am new to this.  Does anyone have info on the forebears of these two