Author Topic: breheny family connaught sligo  (Read 3092 times)

Offline emma123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
breheny family connaught sligo
« on: Sunday 19 August 07 11:31 BST (UK) »
my gggrand mother bridget cecila breheny was b 2 jan 1844 in connaught sligo.her father john breheny ,mother subina judge.bridget and maybe a brother michael immigrated to australia on ship rockliff x plymouth on 11 april 1863.  i can not find any thing about her family in ireland can anyone help thank you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: breheny family connaught sligo
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 07 11:46 BST (UK) »
Sligo is a county (and town) in the Province of Connaught in the west of Ireland. To trace the family in Ireland you will probably need more than County Sligo. The surname Breheny is common in County Sligo- there are hundreds listed on IGI (www.familysearch.org).
'Subina' is probably Sabrina.
If the family stayed in Australia that is where you should start your research. Death certificates for John Beheny and wife might, hopefully, list the names of their parents, etc. Bridget's death certificate, or possibly her marriage certificate, could mention a more exact place of birth in Ireland.
Civil registration of births, deaths & Catholic marriages in Ireland only begn in 1864 which is too late for a family that left here in 1863. Church records, if they still exist, might have earlier baptisms and marriages but you need to know what church as there is no central index of records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!